Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the Sept 2019 RockAuto newsletter. In it, I saw a MCY 900 'Vert and thought "nice!". It looks a little beat in places and has some obviously not original parts, but looks good overall.

Then I read the text...wtf...is he quoting the wrong year or did someone sucker him.
-----------------------------------------------------------
This is the vehicle (a 1992 SAAB 900 SE Monte Carlo) that truly launched my passion for cars, and that is no small statement. This Saab taught me that a car was more than just an expensive toy or a simple transportation device. It taught me the value of working and finishing a job yourself and taking pride in it. From its quirky '80s Saab design inside and out, to its hilariously fun and laggy and relatively primitive turbo technology, I love this car! After acquiring it from the original owner several years ago, I have been meticulously maintaining it and caring for it, and I am just getting ready to join the "300k mile club," on an original drivetrain with a full service history.

From a new convertible top, to suspension bushings, to numerous belts and ignition parts, RockAuto has allowed me to keep the dream going. I hope to take this car past the next 300 thousand mile mark, and I look forward to being a RockAuto customer for the foreseeable future.

Ike in West Virginia (RockAuto customer for over nine years)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
That car has the later style 92+ spoilers that extend all the way around the window sills. A 91 MCY SE has the older style spoilers. That car also has the standard side molding trim and the rub strip right at the body line, where my 91 SE has the SPG kit and no rub strip on the belt line.

Short answer, I've never heard of a 92 SE, and the only similarity I see between that car and my confirmed SE is the paint.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I hadn't noticed the different / bigger trim extending over the doors from the top spoilers (my 'Vert knowledge is pretty slim). I did note the lack of SPG kit, although it appears someone has installed a front bumper with the lower spoiler (but no corresponding bits under the bumper extensions).

So it's likely a '92 Vert that someone's painted MCY and passed off as a special model. The meat-slicer wheels could be original for '92, too.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I read that as well and was just glad a Saab made it into the newsletter. I keep waiting for saabcentral to be a featured forum as they are one of their sponsors. I use rock auto all the time, but I now consider them a necessary evil. I have had a number of bad parts bad experiences lately, but I just can’t get away due to price and selection. I wish I could have all that AND good service!

Regarding the turbo technology, he must be saying that now it is primitive, I think for the time it was quite state of the art. I even consider trionic 5 to be advanced even by today’s standards!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tboy....true it was cool to see a Saab in there any which way. I assume the turbo reference was meant to be relative to today. Those cars were fairly advanced in many ways back then.

I haven't ordered anything from RockAuto in quite a while...mainly because I haven't been progressing any projects, but also partly because for me, being across the border, the shipping/duty charges get pricy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts