Saab Link Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Just placed an order on eeuro for the remainder of the parts I need to complete this project.

Ordered valve cover gasket, front brake hoses, brake pads, ball joint bolt kit (plan is to limp it on the existing ball joints and then replace with OE over the winter vs having to buy the aftermarket units right now.

I fixed the coolant leak I discovered by replacing hose clamps on the heater hoses.

The calipers are off and will be in the hands of a friend that can hopefully get the rusted bleeder screws out so I don't have to replace those right now.

So, yeah April 1st is most likely out of the question, but I may be only a weekend or so behind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even if you miss the April 1 deadline, you've still made really good progress! That will be a really nice 'vert when you are done.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Even if you miss the April 1 deadline, you've still made really good progress! That will be a really nice 'vert when you are done.
Thanks! I had it running in the garage over the weekend and I can't wait to hear this thing going down the road. That C900 'burble' is unmistakably unique.

Speaking of running in the garage, I blipped the throttle once or twice and it's still puffing blue smoke like it was last year. I think I need to start looking for a new (used) turbo.

On the plus side, my box of goodies from eEuro should be here today!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Good news first: I got the ball joint bolts installed. Turns out I really only needed one side. Still planning on doing all 4 new joints in the next year. It only took me 3 hours and lots of swearing and hammering, so I think I'm in good shape.

Bad news: the caliper I broke the bleeder screw in is effed. So I need to buy some calipers. Which is probably going to push this whole project back about 2 weeks, I'll order them next week and it'll take a little bit for them to come.

I also found a couple other things I should probably address before I hit the road in this thing, so hopefully I can get those handled this weekend.

Finally, for those of you that asked, here's pics of the sh*t paint job I did on the new metal. I really wish I would've left it black and just brushed the welds. Oh well, next time! And I swear to god the guy that welded it for me told me to paint it and THEN put the seam sealer on, I know it looks goofy.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
you could very easily make that patch job look a lot better by cleaning all of the clutter from the inner fender, putting down a quick coat of primer and getting a paint code matched rattle can of paint and respraying it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
you could very easily make that patch job look a lot better by cleaning all of the clutter from the inner fender, putting down a quick coat of primer and getting a paint code matched rattle can of paint and respraying it.
My general idea for when the motor comes out next (not removing it just to paint under it):
Clean the whole engine compartment, and repaint all areas that are original to the car in MCY, and then tape off the transplanted section and repaint it in black. I like the idea of making the patch job very obvious vs. trying to hide it. This would of course coincide with degreasing and repainting the engine, etc.

Also, I really have no plans to ever do the body work and turn this thing into a truly "restored" example. It'll be a driver as long as it doesn't get balled up or stolen, and I'm fine with leaving it at that.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The car certainly has a fair share of rust, so can't blame you for not wasting your time and effort on a full restore. I'm going to try to find a southern car for my next c900 purchase so I don't have to worry about going through this business again.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So I need to order some brake calipers for the front.

Places I've looked so far and found either nothing or backordered:
eEuro - not in stock, order says its it is behind schedule for restock
eSaabparts - says NLA, I think they only deal with new OE parts so this makes sense
Federated - they have options listed on their site, but nothing in stock

Anybody bought calipers for their C900 recently? Or does anybody have a set of fronts they'd be willing to sell me?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
FWIW I also like Amazon prime for some parts, especially heavier ones that would be more $ to ship with RockAuto or other similar sites. And having them in 2 days is always really nice!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I sit at a desk most of the day, I have a little spare time to look up parts...
I too sit at a desk all day. I generally post when I'm on a conference call, or on hold. Lately I've been too busy to even remember to look up parts. Took me until Weds to remember I need to find some calipers.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Calipers are coming from a good friend of mine that is a mechanic, he found them at one of his parts suppliers for a little bit less than the places linked, plus no shipping.
Also this way the supplier will get the core and hopefully that generates 2 more re-manufactured calipers for somebody else.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It was a busy and satisfying weekend for this project.

-Hung calipers
-Bled brake system
-Attached speedo cable
-Clamped inner CV boot, not sure why this wasn't done already
-Found replacements for two lower control arm nuts that were misplaced during the rebuild
-Hooked up oil pressure gauge
-Hooked up temp gauge
-Installed cooling fan
-Fitted battery heat shield
-Fired it up
-Drove it out of the garage
-Tested the top after 9 months of no movement
-Gave it a much needed post-project wash
-Took it up and down the street

All that's left to do now is get it aligned and slap a license plate on it, then she can make the maiden voyage to her new home.
There's enough work to do to keep me busy for a while yet, but I've done all that needs done to get it home.

Right after I drove out of the garage

All cleaned up and sittin' pretty

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Confirmed that I will have a temporary tag for it tomorrow to get around while I wait for the metal plates to come.

:th_MySaab900Like:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Car is looking great man! How did you find time to do all that stuff so quick? Pulled an all-nighter or something???

41 - 60 of 77 Posts