Saab Link Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
But Lou's rear end looks exactly like my bloodhound. Never seen this. More pics of Lou and the vert ?
He's my brother's dog, I don't actually have any other pics of him. He's a chocolate lab that looks like he might have a little bit of pit bull to him.

Here's some pics of the damage that's getting repaired, though:

Sorry for the bad pic, I was in a hurry while the football game was on commercial

Everything's been degreased at this point, it's off to the shop this Saturday to begin the cut & weld.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My SPG has a similar problem to your second picture with the passenger side wheel well. I've got a guy coming out to weld in replacement sheet metal. Glad to see someone else making the effort to save these cars. It's more work, but I think it's worth it. Will be watching for more progress. Keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My SPG has a similar problem to your second picture with the passenger side wheel well. I've got a guy coming out to weld in replacement sheet metal. Glad to see someone else making the effort to save these cars. It's more work, but I think it's worth it. Will be watching for more progress. Keep up the good work :)
I got the replacement metal from Goldwing, it looks like they must have a car-sized bands saw or something.

As for it being more work to fix these cars, I completely agree. But at this point I think it's more possible to fix this MCY vert than it would be to replace it with a less crusty one, especially at a (initial)purchase price of $free.99.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Status update:
Car's been at the shop since Saturday, guy got a chance to tear into it yesterday, got it up on the lift and removed the suspension. He took some measurements and made a plan. Today he starts cutting out the bad stuff and I'll be over to his shop after work today to help hold things in place, grab tools/beers.

Couple pics from after it was degreased, sitting on the truck at the shop waiting to be unloaded:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Teaser pic of the new metal cut down to size. Unless something crazy happens, I should be installing the engine in this car this weekend. I'll post more photos once I get it back in my driveway.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Replacements for the broken parts have been ordered:
Front motor mount
Radiator hose
Alternator is getting dropped off for rebuild tomorrow

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
holy crap thats the rustiest vert I have ever laid eyes on...I tip my hat to you for fixing it..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
holy crap thats the rustiest vert I have ever laid eyes on...I tip my hat to you for fixing it..
Credit the Ohio winters and the daily driver status for the first ~20 years of its life.

Had to fix it. They ain't makin' any more.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Spent the day finishing up the motor re-installation. Once I connected *all* of the wires to the starter it fired right up! I ran it long enough to see the big fuel leak on the rail. I guess I must've hooked the rail with the chain when I was taking it out last summer.

Does anyone happen to have a parts car or a fuel rail sitting on a shelf?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Spent the day finishing up the motor re-installation. Once I connected *all* of the wires to the starter it fired right up! I ran it long enough to see the big fuel leak on the rail. I guess I must've hooked the rail with the chain when I was taking it out last summer.

Does anyone happen to have a parts car or a fuel rail sitting on a shelf?
I've got a mix of 2.0 and 2.1 rails on the shelf, and could send you one. Let me check and get back to you later today.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So after scrolling back up through this thread, there's a pic that shows the motor on the ground and the rail doesn't look bent. Now that I think about it, our engine hoist was crapping out as we were getting the motor back in the car. Maybe it got bent then.

Anyway, grabbed a few pictures to show the problem:

ninehundredt, if you have a rail laying around I would really appreciate if you could send me one. Let me know if you find one and what you want for it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah that's definitely bent up. They are a tad fragile. I don't want anything for the rail. Happy to help another SAAB guy out. Just cover the shipping and we're good. Will PM if you if I have the correct one.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Received a decidedly unbent fuel rail from ninehundredt today. Thanks!

With any luck it'll be going on the car this weekend and we can let the car come up to temperature and see what else is wrong (hopefully nothing).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Got the fuel rail in today with new o rings. No fuel leaks. Now that I was able to run it for a few minutes, I reminded myself that the VC gasket leaks, and also discovered a coolant leak. Hoping I find the hose causing the problem and it isn't the hard line near the injector rail.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Got the fuel rail in today with new o rings. No fuel leaks. Now that I was able to run it for a few minutes, I reminded myself that the VC gasket leaks, and also discovered a coolant leak. Hoping I find the hose causing the problem and it isn't the hard line near the injector rail.
What's your plan to tackle the rust? So far that has been the most daunting problem for me, and yours looks more severe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What's your plan to tackle the rust? So far that has been the most daunting problem for me, and yours looks more severe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Wow, I never made a post about what I did with that rust. Spoiler alert: the fender arches and door bottoms are staying rusty for the foreseeable future.

Trucked it over to my friend's shop after the powertrain and body work were out of the way:

Last pic taken with the rust in place on the truck at the shop:

New (old) metal after it was cut down to size:

Starting to cut the car:

No going back now:

Welding in-process:

On the way home after a 2 week vacation at the shop:

Welded up and sitting back in the driveway at home:

It got seam sealed and painted after that, but I'm not pleased with how it looks so I kinda didn't take a lot of photos of that.

All of those pictures were taken last fall, which is why I'm surprised I never posted them. The motor is back in it, it runs, just chasing down a few more "crappy, rusty old car" type problems and hopefully will be driving it April 1st.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Wow that's a lot of work. Post some pictures of the final finish if you get a chance. Looking forward to seeing more updates :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Wow that's a lot of work. Post some pictures of the final finish if you get a chance. Looking forward to seeing more updates :)
Turns out I was so proud of the job I actually didn't take a single photo of it. Imagine a not-quite-the-same shade of yellow, with lots of bad over spray.

Also, the April 1st deadline is kinda out now, I moved a couple weeks ago and I forgot how much fun that is. Hopefully we're not too far behind. Next step is still to remove the front brakes and all 4 ball joints.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts