Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a little difficulty with my '91 9kt.

In the time I've owned it, I've never been able to lock it. Not really a problem.

Last night I noticed that the only door that will open is the drivers (hey, at least it's that one right?). The other three will not budge. As I was standing there trying to open the left rear door from the outside and all that was occurring was a slight metallic popping noise. Then the alarm went off, so I stopped fucking with it.

This morning I go out and start it before work. Car starts up, and the alarm goes off. Close the door, it goes off again.

Few minutes later get in and drive away and the alarm proceeds to go off every 15-20 seconds or so. Turn around, take moms 9-5 to work instead.

When I say the alarm goes off, it's probably not like you're thinking. Almost like one of those proximity warning things. High pitched alarm sound that lasts for a couple seconds at most.

The real question is... where is the alarm noise making thinger located so I can just unplug it (forcibly or otherwise)... but any helpful diagnostic advice is welcome as well.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Probably safe to just remove the alarm all together. Take down the carpet panel above the passengers feet. Stashed up in there is a yellow box that is the controller. Unplug, file controller accordingly (garbage can), jump the 2 big yellow wires together so your starter works and you're good to go

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what does this thing look like? The only electronic looking thing I see under there is this big orange thing that looks a bit too big and complicated to be an alarm... SRS maybe, but not alarm.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but similiar issue with one of my '91 9000's. Wife drives this car and 99% of the time, does not lock the car, we live in a small town. She will when she goes down to the big city mall - Lancaster, PA. Last week, she went to the mall, locked the car, came back and unlocked the car. Then the alarm started to "chirp" - this was before she drove off. It would "chirp" for about 1-2 seconds, maybe every 10-seconds or so. Did this the entire trip home - 14-miles.

I tried to reset the alarm - two quick turns to the off position - test drove it and it still chirped. So then I disarmed it and we have not locked the car since then.

Any ideas on what needs replaced / repaired / contacts to clean ? Thanks guys for your thoughts / ideas for both stig and I.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Stig and trollmeister - I am sorry to inform you that you have both been the victims of break ins/attempted break ins.

There is nothing at all wrong with your doors or your alarms. The symptoms you're experiencing, both mechanical and electrical, are directly attributable to the attempts or success of thieves to access you vehicles' interior for whatever items that might be found there, perhaps even to steal the car?

Do some digging around the threads by searching for "alarm" and, hopefully, you'll find instructions on how to go about resetting your alarm so that all of your features' settings return to normal.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If someone failed to get inside my car, they need to find a new "career" for a number of reasons.

1) They could have just opened the door. Like I said, it has never once been locked in my ownership.
2) They are pretty poor at picking targets. :lol: There's nothing valuable in it and only an enthusiast who can recognize a few parts would know that it's worth any more than its weight in scrap.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Lol! Well, if it wasn't an attempted/successful break in, then I'd start fault testing the entire alarm system for shorts with a voltmeter.

Saabs...only valuable to those that value them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Probably safe to just remove the alarm all together. Take down the carpet panel above the passengers feet. Stashed up in there is a yellow box that is the controller. Unplug, file controller accordingly (garbage can), jump the 2 big yellow wires together so your starter works and you're good to go
x2

I had the same problem. The only option I could find was disabling the alarm all together. Like Seriks said, just find that orange box under the glove compartment, cut the two yellow wires going into it, and splice them together.

Heres some pictures:

http://www.saablink.net/forum/attac...-information/6523d1290366125-saab-alarm-2-jpg

http://www.saablink.net/forum/attac...ts-information/6522d1290366125-saab-alarm-jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stig and trollmeister

There is nothing at all wrong with your doors or your alarms. The symptoms you're experiencing, both mechanical and electrical, are directly attributable to the attempts or success of thieves to access you vehicles' interior for whatever items that might be found there, perhaps even to steal the car?

Do some digging around the threads by searching for "alarm" and, hopefully, you'll find instructions on how to go about resetting your alarm so that all of your features' settings return to normal.
Are suggesting that there are other instructions, other than what is listed in the '91 Owners Manual on how to reset the alarm ? Car will be going into the shop in 2-weeks and I was going to have the alarm checked at that point.

I just took the car to run an errand and I locked the doors at the store. Came out, unlocked and drove the 6-miles back to the house - no alarm chirps. Car is not currently locked out in front of the house.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
x2

I had the same problem. The only option I could find was disabling the alarm all together. Like Seriks said, just find that orange box under the glove compartment, cut the two yellow wires going into it, and splice them together.

Heres some pictures:

http://www.saablink.net/forum/attac...-information/6523d1290366125-saab-alarm-2-jpg

http://www.saablink.net/forum/attac...ts-information/6522d1290366125-saab-alarm-jpg
Ah, so it IS the big scary orange thing. 10-4.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Mine was kinda finicky for a while, i cleaned the contacts on the brain and checked the connections on my hood sensor ands its been fine ftmp. It is really sensitive though, if you hit the car, or somthing with a really loud exhaust goes by, or a bad thunderstorm (lol anything loud i guess) it will go off. Not sure if thats by design or not.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mine was kinda finicky for a while, i cleaned the contacts on the brain and checked the connections on my hood sensor ands its been fine ftmp. It is really sensitive though, if you hit the car, or somthing with a really loud exhaust goes by, or a bad thunderstorm (lol anything loud i guess) it will go off. Not sure if thats by design or not.
There is suppose to be a sensitivity adjustment somewhere in the unit, probably noted in graduations of 1 through whatever, perhaps you should examine the component modules for an external means of adjustment, or for an interior access that would allow you to adjust it?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
One of the most informative posts I've seen on here in a while. If its not working right, rip the SOB out, toss it, and hotwire what you need to. Well played Scott.

Stig....don't sell that '91 short, as equal to scrap. Life has taught me several very important lessons about cars, one being that the time to insult your ride is when its 85* and sunny. Not -11* (today) and January. :|

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of the most informative posts I've seen on here in a while. If its not working right, rip the SOB out, toss it, and hotwire what you need to. Well played Scott.

Stig....don't sell that '91 short, as equal to scrap. Life has taught me several very important lessons about cars, one being that the time to insult your ride is when its 85* and sunny. Not -11* (today) and January. :|
:lol: To me it's worth more, to the average observer...

Funny story about that fix. Unplugged that harness, spliced those two wires together and all was swell. Drove to the bank, ATM ate my debit card, got back in the car, turned the key... silence. Huh.

Long story short now it's sitting there with that harness unplugged and those two wires just cut, not spliced to anything or anything like that, and it's working fine.

Interesting.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
:lol: To me it's worth more, to the average observer...

Funny story about that fix. Unplugged that harness, spliced those two wires together and all was swell. Drove to the bank, ATM ate my debit card, got back in the car, turned the key... silence. Huh.

Long story short now it's sitting there with that harness unplugged and those two wires just cut, not spliced to anything or anything like that, and it's working fine.

Interesting.
HEY.. me tooo!!! I'm thoroughly confused. But at least my car starts. and doesn't trip an alarm every 10 seconds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts