Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finished installing 9000 Aero Seats in my 96 900set. will take pictures tomorrow if i have a chance

·
Registered
531 Posts
Oh man, I'm really looking forward to seeing this, I asked around extensively and everyone said it couldn't be done...did you do the back seat too? Lots of pictures please!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well i have wooden mounts in as mock ups while my metal mounts are being made this week. i think the rears might be too wide so in order to have them in the back i'd have to have them fitted to the ng rears. but anything fits if you really want it to. and the fronts arent too wide if you are willing to figure it all out

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i think the rears might be too wide so in order to have them in the back i'd have to have them fitted to the ng rears. but anything fits if you really want it to. and the fronts arent too wide if you are willing to figure it all out
I got them to fit in a classic 900, without any serious mods, so the NG should be easier.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
You can put anything into anything if you fabricate.

I wouldn't call these "installed" if they are mounted in with wood. Post up some photos when they are in there for good with the proper mounts.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i would say they are installed if you can sit in them and drive it down the road with out the seat flopping around...

this is just the ruff draft...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
read what i posted earlier. mounted with wood as a mock up. although they are fully functional, safe and DO NOT move what so ever. the true mounts are being fabricated out of metal and maybe tuesday i'll have them. if not no worries they are fine.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I read it fine, thanks. You wouldn't catch me dead driving around in a car where the seats are held in with wood. Regardless, it'll be nice to see what you're using for the actual mounts, there are a lot of fans of that style of seat who have ng900s, and I'm sure they'd love to see what it takes to get them installed.

Personally, I've always found the Viggen/later 9-5 Aero seats to be more comfy for me. The Aero seats were alright, but never quite did it for me...I think it was the shoulder bolstering, or the fact that with a helmet on they forced me to sit in a me in a very odd position.

Either way, I didn't mean to be insult, but there was a distinct lack of details as to how wood was used to install these...for all I knew they could be sitting on 2x4s duct taped to the floor.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
initially they did hit the doors so they had to be raised maybe an inch and it is quite a tight fit but at the end of the day no interference other than trying to adjust the seats with doors closed but i guess that's what the memory settings are for ;). honestly i would keep the wood mounts lmao but i realize that most others wouldn't feel as comfortable so yes metal ones are being made. i would love viggen seats but the aero's were out of my 93.5 that i had for 4 days before somebody decided to cut out into traffic in front of me. once the metal brackets are perfected i'll post step by step photos. oh viggen seats and interior too expensive around here. goldwing in NY wanted 700 for just the front seats.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The problem driving around on wood is that if you had an accident, the wood would break and the seat would push you forward into the dash/airbag instead of staying put. - In the right conditions, that would kill you, were you'd have no injuries if it was done right. (which you said you are in the process of doing)

Also if someone in the rear was not wearing their seat belt in an accident or fast stop, then "fell" into the seat, it would crush you.

Something to think about.

NIce job getting them to fit if it works out.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The problem driving around on wood is that if you had an accident, the wood would break and the seat would push you forward into the dash/airbag instead of staying put. - In the right conditions, that would kill you, were you'd have no injuries if it was done right. (which you said you are in the process of doing)

Also if someone in the rear was not wearing their seat belt in an accident or fast stop, then "fell" into the seat, it would crush you.

Something to think about.

NIce job getting them to fit if it works out.
I agree Paul. Good job on the install, now you have the hard part done. Use the dimensions you have on the wood and do it properly. Safety above all.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dimensions have been at the shop for the mounts since before the wood mounts were in. holiday weekends suck. nobody is ever in that car but me. i have other cars more practical for that ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
ahhhhh these look amazing. please please post info on the mounts you had made and the info for wiring

·
Registered
184 Posts
BALLER!

Any chance you could make a template for anyone else who wants to do this?

There is a 9000 Aero at my local U-pull and I don't want those fronts to go to waste!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts