Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am finally installing konis on my 95 Aero (I plan on trimming a coil or so off of the springs to lower the car as well. :) Many owners have problems with removing the rear shock/ARB bolt due to rusting issues... i DIDNT have this problem! was pretty stoked about that, pretty good I think for a 188k mile car. The bolt definetly wanted to stay in place, but clamping one end of the bolt and the ARB bar and just tightening the clamp caused the bolt to pop out without too much drama.

I will post pictures of the progress and final shots of the lowered car in case anyone is curious, or to help future owners with the procedure

One question i do have, I have one of the rear dampers off currently. When you compress the damper and compare the force it takes to compress it to my new konis, the shock on the car (standard Aero damper) is much more difficult to compress!! (to reiterate, the standard compresses and rebounds smoothly, just requires more force!!) Is this normal? I would have thought the konis (supposed to have a harsher ride) would be more difficult to compress.
Thoughts or explanations?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Suggest you ONLY cut off 1/2 a coil at any one time.
It will make more difference than you expect.
My aero all too often drags its ex flex pipe .. with Stock height.
Much lower and you ..will.. heed an exhaust redesign.
Coils are 'difficult' to reattach once removed :)
Konis give a very nice ride as well as improving handling significantly.
Stiffness Does Not necessarily equal better handling... only children and fools subscribe to that myth.
You are just witnessing the higher gas pressure used in the old shocks..which is NO indicator of actual damping capabilities.
It is possible , though unlikely, that the Koni is faulty, is it smooth throughout it's travel ?
Konis are arguably the best shocks one can buy.. have a little faith.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight bare! Yes, believe me 1/2 a coil at a time is the MOST I will take off... and I am positive the konis are not damaged, travel is smootb and constant between the 2 rear dampers.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update - I finished the install last night, drove on it for ~30 miles, and got an alignment this morning. I am planning on taking some final pictures of how the car sits but the roads and weather arent so hot right now, so that will have to wait.

I ended cutting up roughly 7/8 off of the rear spring, the rear sits great right now, and i usually dont carry a lot of stuff in the rear so Im not worried about sagging too much. When i do have passengers, the car will ride lower in the rear, but it is not close enough to rub anywhere.

The fronts I first cut 1/2 coil off of, and when I put the car back down off the jacks, it seemed barely any lower. I assumed that the front spring coils (because they are spaced so much further apart then the rear coils) will take a week or so to fully settle with the lower perch compressing a new part of the spring. I ended up cutting another 1/4 coil off (total I trimmed the fronts by 3/4 coil) and I think when it is all settled and done, will be great. I have even visually noticed the front wheel gap get lower and settle into place over the past day.

As the weather has been poor, I havent tossed the car around too much, but already I am pumped about the handling!! Much more flat and composed, way less body roll. People complain about the Konis being super stiff initially - mine arent like a cadillac but they are not too firm IMO - they definetly feel better then the 2 blown front struts they replaced.

Right now I have the front Konis set at 1.5 turns from soft, and that can be easily adjusted. The rears dampers, I read that using 'turns' to define the rebound rates is not a good idea - this was evidenced by me setting both dampers to full hard and seeing the rebound rates differ by ~4 seconds! :eek:. I ended up adjusting them so they both fully rebounded at approximately the same time.

Doing some machine work on the front struts in order to fit the insert was not too difficult. Yes, it took some extra time to cut, drill, and remove the old contents, but definetly was not very complicated. My new inserts installed easily.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a good time of the year for pictures... this is the best I could do but you get the picture... I think it looks good! The tire/fender gap is now ~1.25 fingers in the rear and 1.75fingers in the front.

Traffic circle handling is amazing compared to the stock aero suspension

1 - 5 of 5 Posts