Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to search further back, but looking for quick advice if anyone has any! Got the craigslist find 900turbo vert running. In neutral or park, can rev it happily - put it in gear, put your boot in it, and getting up over 3k is tough. It WILL if you slowly apply gas - so thinking it is mixture issues.? airflow meter, O2 sensor? Thought I heard a slight whistling or leaking air as well (probably old or dry rotted hose for turbo.?)

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time - SOOOO glad I bought it and got back into another real IE less GM saab. :)

oh, pics after getting it running and at least washed: http://gallery.me.com/gildedsplinters#100431

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, tune up is a must. Battery In my 9-3SC aero gave it up this am - knew it needed to be replaced - and was going to replace before selling so had to drive the vert. Going to change fuel filter, Change oil, etc. Put in new plugs - time to do the rest! Df. A leak though, can hear air with hood up. Thanks all, ordered manual today from amazon / can't wait for it to get here!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I am having the same situation with my 87' 900T 16V 5 speed. 1st gear power to redline is fine. 2nd slower to redline, 3rd, and 4th... the power above 3K feels like it's choking or trying to drive through celophane in a diesel. 5th gear, she has all the pulling power. Replaced the plugs (dealer) and air filter (CAI) as the dist. cap and rotor are new. Fluids are done.. Brakes in the near future. I do have vac issues from the vaccum grommets on the intake as well as the valve cover. My issue is, Could it be time for the turbo? Car has 190K on it... No smoke, burning on anything.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Check all vacuum lines first. There will be a diagram on the fender well to show the appropriate routing. Smart thing to do is preventatively replace all.

If that doesn't work, I'd try swapping the bypass valve and MAF.

If that doesn't work, I'd look at the coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.

Problems can be little, but finding "the one" is the difficulty. Just do some trial and error experiments and you'll get there eventually. Good luck!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, its Friday, the day is almost over - I am going to have a "garage" weekend, change all the fluids, check for leaks, see if I can track down the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm going to replace (order) the plastic vacuum ports as they look brittle along with the grommets. HOpefully that does wonders as I do hear a whoosh sound at idle...

·
7,595 Posts
also note, that since this is an air-flow meter car, ANY leaks in anything located after the air flow meter can cause problems. A bad BPV as well as a bad turbo intake boot are pretty typical at this age. How is the condition of the PCV hose? Note, that IS post air flow meter, and if it's degraded and leaking it will cause problems. I would check those, along with what other people have suggested. Do you have a known good air flow meter you could try in the car?

·
Registered
51 Posts
also note, that since this is an air-flow meter car, ANY leaks in anything located after the air flow meter can cause problems. A bad BPV as well as a bad turbo intake boot are pretty typical at this age. How is the condition of the PCV hose? Note, that IS post air flow meter, and if it's degraded and leaking it will cause problems. I would check those, along with what other people have suggested. Do you have a known good air flow meter you could try in the car?
Update, I did gum plug the main leak on top of the IM front the D/S and installed my performance APC; Besides a slight bit of hiss from other leaks, the hesitation is gone and runs like a raped ape. I'll definately look into the MAF but I know it does have more vac leaks. Now to do the Front mount and Amsoil in the gearbox.. and I'm good..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts