Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a 93 CE edition that barely had a scratch on it until I took out a good size buck just before the holidays. Caught him with the drivers side front end and he hit the windshield and went all the way over. Some hood damage but completely trashed the headlamp and bracket and turning signal on the drivers side. I struggled to find the correct parts online and finally found all 3 on 'thesaabsite.com'. I ordered, about $500.00 total, then got an email saying I ordered the wrong headlamp and the one I needed was back ordered from Saab with no restock date.

I ordered this part # 32000360 for the headlamp that was labeled 87-94 and # 9557075 for the headlamp bucket. Tony, from thesaabsite, who was helpful and responsive, came back and said what I really needed was part #4092870, and cost was $319.00 but included the bucket so not too far off - problem is this is the part that's backordered until who know's when. I've heard parts are still being made but given Saab's demise I'm not sure how much priority there is for the older models. My CE has wipers on the headlamps and I assume that's why I need a special one.

Just curious if anyone knows for sure if the other model light would fit my car - the wiper arms are independent of the headlamp assembly. Or if maybe someone knows another source. I've spent a lot of time looking on eBay and Google and didn't want to start calling junkyards if my only option is one of the rare 325 CE's still being available.

I found part # 1002943 on Skandix.com for $189 but I think that's just the regular light for 87-94.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's my daily driver and I can't drive it at night and my inspection is due at the end of January.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The only difference between 87-94 lights, are that some of them had little "nipples" molded into the plastic, and some didn't. I forget the exact years and reasoning, but I believe it had to do with 87-->?? not using headlight wipers, and ??-->94 using headlight wipers.

As far as "Will it fit?" goes, ANY 1987-1994 headlight assembly will bolt in. Personally I would find a used assembly at a local junkyard for $50. 1) WAAAAAAY cheaper. 2) The patina of a used piece will match the other side. It won't look goofy with one crystal clear lens, and one cloudy lens.

PS.........what's the specs on your commemorative? Have you registered at www.saabce.com ??

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The earlier lamp is for cars without headlight wipers. The buckets are all the same. The lamp for cars with headlight wipers doesn't have the extra little bump on the top center of the lens. The wiper would hit that bump. You can use the earlier lamps on your car, but you either have to grind and polish off the bump with a diamond wheel, or cut a relief for the bump out of the rubber part of the headlight wiper blade. I've done both. Obviously, cutting the blade is easier, and less conspicuous.

The lenses are glass, so if you grind the nipple off, use plenty of water as you're doing it to keep them from cracking.

I'll reiterate what Adam said... get that CE registered if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

hey thanks guys,
The same search I did 2 weeks ago and came up with nothing resulted in a good find last night - I got the light and the bucket and the turning signal all for $75 on ebay. It looks like it's 20 years old but i agree my other 'good' one doesn't look new either.

Yes I'm on saabce.com - I actually sold it a couple years ago by posting it on the site - I'm #165 but on the site I'm listed as the seller and Ken Karika updated the info as the buyer - I bought it back from Ken last October and drove it from San Diego to Charlotte. Kind of a long story as it's the 3rd time I've purchased that particular car. I bought it in RI new in '93. I need to update saabce but hadn't got around to it yet.

BTW - I've seen turbocon86's sig often when looking for info and love the animation.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
whats your location? I know of two c900s in a junkyard with good head lights and buckets

1 - 5 of 5 Posts