Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 9-3 has 190k miles and still runs but has to go, too much work involved in fixing it up. However, yesterday, I found a post on craigslist for a 900 SPG clone. Now I have contemplated buying an SPG in the past but this one is in great condition from the pictures and I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain to me what exactly a clone is? Is it a clone because it's got aftermarket parts such as stage 2 kevlar 9000 clutch and a T3T4 super 60 turbo? Or am I missing something? Oh yeah i'm a noob here. Thanks in advance.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
huh, they put an 86 front on a 91? Weird, yet awesome.

Looks alright to me, pending the condidon of the transmission...

The 1990-91 boxes are pretty alright, so you have that going for you.

That's not going to be a reliable daily, IMHO. Just so you know.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Biocide,

The SPG clone you're looking at appears to be a good deal at 2k. You have at least that much value in parts alone, although I agree with Palmer, that the car might not be a great daily driver. Mint 900 turbos with those mods, should be 3-5k cars, so either the seller is desparate for money, or there's something wrong with the car. You should definitely go and check it out and thoroughly inspect it; just don't have incredible expectations. Most of the time, you get what you pay for, and a 20 year old Saab that has been modded to the gills is no different. Could be a jewel, could be a project, or it could be a complete, hacked up piece of shit. My bet is that it's a little better than a project as it must have been a solid, well running car for someone to have invested the money they put into that car. Let us know how it looks if you go see it!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
If you don't have the time or money required to fix a '99 to keep it road worthy you'll def not be able to keep a "kit" c900 reliable. The car looks and sounds like a neat "project" car (some good upgrades there for sure) but from my experience these kinds of cars only become available after the owner becomes beyond frustrated with them. If you want this SPG, be prepared to roll up your sleeves and open your wallet to make it a daily driver--that's not necessarily a bad thing if you're ready for it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Besides what has already been stated, MegaSquirt is a standalone engine managment system that the consumer builds based on plans from Megasquirt...

That said, if said consumer is lousy with a soldering iron....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you don't have the time or money required to fix a '99 to keep it road worthy you'll def not be able to keep a "kit" c900 reliable. The car looks and sounds like a neat "project" car (some good upgrades there for sure) but from my experience these kinds of cars only become available after the owner becomes beyond frustrated with them. If you want this SPG, be prepared to roll up your sleeves and open your wallet to make it a daily driver--that's not necessarily a bad thing if you're ready for it.
That's the thing, the damage done to my 99 outweighs the price of buying a new one(Wisconsin deer are huge). And a week ago, low and behold my house flooded from the second story down to the basement all because of a stupid piece of plastic in a toilet. So money is tight and seeing as this one is at 2k i'd have about 1500 to throw into it if it needs anything. I do like how it comes with spare parts though. My only fear now is what it looks like under the hood. I called and asked about miles and what not but have yet to get a response. Thanks for the help everybody.
Besides what has already been stated, MegaSquirt is a standalone engine managment system that the consumer builds based on plans from Megasquirt...

That said, if said consumer is lousy with a soldering iron....
Seeing as this guy spent like 800 on a turbo for it, I can assume he knows what he's doing. Or i'd like to hope so haha

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
This. Canofworms.gif

Get a stock 900T or SPG and drive it. These cars are very reliable with just basic maintenance, until you start modding. My daily driver SPG has over 185k now and is on the stock engine, transmission and turbo. Gotta keep them happy though, don't skimp on maintenance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This. Canofworms.gif

Get a stock 900T or SPG and drive it. These cars are very reliable with just basic maintenance, until you start modding. My daily driver SPG has over 185k now and is on the stock engine, transmission and turbo. Gotta keep them happy though, don't skimp on maintenance.
Finding one is literally more than half the battle. Especially ones without any rust because i've already witnessed the work on de-rusting a 86 rabbit there's no way in hell i'd have the time or money to repaint.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
^^^ x2. I have serious suspension mods, and I would qualify the engine mods to be somewhat mild by today's standards. At this point I'm satisfied with what I've got, and given the age and the fact that these things are really starting to become rare sightings on the road, I want to keep it running a long time. I'm done with the mods. Just maintaining, maintaining, maintaining, and enjoying the hell out of them.

Change the oil FAITHFULLY every 3000 miles, and if ANYTHING breaks, fix it immediately. Parts are starting to become scarce in some cases.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
That car has been on and off Craigslist, it gives me an uneasy feeling every time I see it. There is something about that car that is sketchy to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^ x2. I have serious suspension mods, and I would qualify the engine mods to be somewhat mild by today's standards. At this point I'm satisfied with what I've got, and given the age and the fact that these things are really starting to become rare sightings on the road, I want to keep it running a long time. I'm done with the mods. Just maintaining, maintaining, maintaining, and enjoying the hell out of them.

Change the oil FAITHFULLY every 3000 miles, and if ANYTHING breaks, fix it immediately. Parts are starting to become scarce in some cases.
Indeed. There's even junkyard like 10 minutes from me where this guy has spare parts and whole Saabs. Even saw a limited edition (117 of 135) 900.

I think i'll have to go there for parts. It's such a rare car though i'd honestly be scared to drive it.
That car has been on and off Craigslist, it gives me an uneasy feeling every time I see it. There is something about that car that is sketchy to me.
I'm glad you said something but that's really unfortunate. I need a car fast it's cold in mine haha.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Heh. 117, eh? Mine is #116...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I spent more than 800 on my turbo setup all said and done, yet idk how to handle megasquirt. Thats why im going with t5 and paying for a tune ;) Good luck on the search it'll be tough. That car looks decent (besides the wheels) but as others have said it may be more of a project then it appears. I would say it's definately worth going to look at though so that you don't have the "what if" feeling.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

I couldn't have said it better. these cars are not going to keep up with most of what's on the road today, so it doesn't make sense to try and get them that way. If you have a nice Classic 900, then keep it running by strict maintenance.

They will last forever if you take care of them and have enough spare parts around. - 325,000+ miles on mine and I maintain it like it was my first born. -

I would not want to take on someone else's "project" as I would guess everything was screwed with making it unpredictable. I like things I can count on if it's a DD.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts