Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, well i have an 86 saab 9000 turbo .... and theres no oil pressure.. so we got a free 900 turbo motor... and we're planning on trying to swap motors.. do you think it should work? .. i didn't know what forum to put this in 900 or 9000.. but has anyone tried this b4? its just the engine.. were gonna use the 900 turobo.. and the 900 trans.. :roll: thx

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The mounts are in different places, and you're losing some displacement. The 9000 engine is 2.3L, while the 900 Turbo is only 2.0L

I'm not sure about using the 900 tranny because I think the halfshafts are different lengths. And the 9000 tranny has different gearing that would make the smaller engine lug....

All in all, I wouldn't do it, even for free. Your time is worth something, and you'd save yourself some serious headaches by getting a used 9000K motor, which you can usually score for under $1000.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
um - not all 9000's had the 2.3.... that was a later thing. The 86-90's had the 2.0L motor... and the only differance with a 2.3 is the crank anyways. But yes - the trans would not fit with a 2.3 crank.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Burns, you're totally right.....the older 9Ks were smaller

(smacking myself in the head, 'cause I had an 88...)

All in all....that would be A LOT of work....

·
7,595 Posts
sticking a 900 engine into an 86 9000 will be easy as cake. you just have to remove both engines, and then swap ALL the accesories, engine mounting brackets, manifolds, front and rear plates, install the 9000 oil pan, and a few other things I'm sure I forgot.

may take you a few new gaskets and about a days work changing over EVERYTHING you will need to change over, but it will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx for the help.. ill go out back and start pokin round at the old motor tomorrow.. :D and when i get done.. ill tell you all how i made out.. ya.. ill have to figure out that engine mounting problem.. so should i weld new mounts to it? cause my friend can do that for me. im going to use the same trans thts already in 9000 now.. we call it the dream car.. my dad put lotta money into it.. and it didn't work.. so if i can get it to.. its mine.. he has all new leather interior for it.. and the performance chip.. ya its the 2.0 liter.. so ill tell you how i make out .. thanks
EDIT= oo do you think the 900 turbo would work.. because i know it was a whole different turbo system in the 900 and 9000.. just might take some modding, right? :roll:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
ok - we need some years of the cars you're dealing with - cause if it is of the "vintage" I am thinking of - no welding is needed - just bolts.... As for chipping - none-such thing for the APC cars. Also - the Turbos are all relatively the same - once again - we need some car years to ensure they are of the vintage I am thinking they are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the 9000 is an 86 turbo, the motor i want to put in is an 86 900 turbo, both are 2.0 liter sry i should have said that earlier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts