Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will the turbo from a 1990 9000 fit in the 1995 9000? also if the turbo from a 99 and up saab 9-3 9-5 will fit. thanks guys :idea:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I think you'd be happy with a t3/t4 hybrid - or seek out a Turbo from an Aero model, our own ERP has just done this himself - search for his posts and read up. He did this on his ng900.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where do we find these- also- is it a good idea to get the turbo in my car now rebuilt being that it is a 95? how often should you have a rebuild?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
pop off the hose going into it - with your fingers pinch the shaft in the center of the turbo wheel - wiggle it up and down, side to side - if it feels rather tight - no play - it's fine - ideal is tight to a little play. If it has a lot - time for a rebiuld/replacement. Check e-bay for these turbo's just type in like T28 T3/T4 things like that - you'll get a lot of finds.

·
10,303 Posts
If your not blowing white smoke, the turbo should be fine, but check the play as burnside said. If you wonder what hose, its the intake tube.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
What makes you say he should get a T3/T4??? That an interesting conclusion to jump at. Is his car FPT, LPT, or AERO already? IF he's got no other mods he would have a year of lag with a hybrid... unless you know something I don't here...

Some people just want to drive their cars, not have 25 psi of boost and all this and that. But if that's the case maybe he came to the wrong site.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh- i want this car to be fast. i just went and picked it up yesterday- and man, do i have some questions! first- it is not nearly as fast as i thought it would be, it doesnt seem to have ANY boost - though- the boost gauge in the dash moves. 2- in the dash, under the seat heater controls, there is this little round vent looking thing that wont quit making noise. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?! i dont have a user manual and i dont have any reading materials- so i need to find some! 3 check engine light is on do only certain shops have diagnostic check systems? - more to come......... :cry:

·
Registered
11 Posts
You mentioned that the boost gauge needle moves, but how far into the yellow?, it should move from white to yellow and jump to red fairly quickly and throw you into your seat, if not, something is amiss. The little round vent looking thinghy is an air sensor for the climate control, it runs continuously with the engine running, there is a tiny duct and fan attached to it, that some times gets clogged with dirt and becomes noisy, it can be easily removed and cleaned. There are some good scanners out there, they are not cheap I paid about 200 usd for mine, it is from OTC, but in my opinion it's worth it, considering that if you take the car to a shop they will charge you around 90 bucks just to "diagnose the problem" (they read the codes), so if you buy one and use it twice then it has paid itself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i was just told my turbo is froze up. i am going to just get a new one. my friend has one that is bigger. finally will be able to boost! man i bought a intake from saab performance or swedish dynamics for like 70 bucks and all it is is a freakin filter! they say to cut off my intake tube and attach it to that. is it worth it?? well- how do you get the little vent thing out to clean it?? ( the a/c thing.) i pulled the little vent cover off and cant get anything else off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:evil: the boost gauge basically stays in the middle and goes to the left a few times. the guy said he is going to give me a slightly larger turbo. is that going to help any? any one have a idea where to get a cheap gauge cluster? mine is in kilometers and i want to have it in MPH. also- how do you get it out? (the gauges) i still cant get the lil a/c vent thing out either. why dont any of you helpful people live in mobile alabama!? damn. :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
well as for the turbo situation, i dont think ive ever heard of a turbo "freezing up", not sure how that could happen and still allow the car to run, maybe he means the wastegate is stuck open? in that case you would probably only need a new wastegate actuator, not a whole new turbo, and actually a bigger turbo isnt going to help your performance in any way unless you have other mods to support that, the stock turbo is the size it is because the engineers at saab decided that was what the engine needed, a bigger turbo would just add more turbo lag on an otherwise stock engine.

As for the instrument cluster, ebay is the way to go for a cheap one.

Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can the turbo stop spinning if it is gunked up? i just dont feel any boost at all. it feels really slow to accelerate.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
well, theoretically if it gets toatally sluged up with oil it could stop spinning i suppose, but ive personally never heard of that, what youre describing sounds to me like your wastegate actuator is stuck open, if thats open, youll get no boost whatsoever, and also your exhaust note will be marginally louder than normal since the turbine wheel is being bypassed and that usually acts as a muffler. You could check the operation of the wastegate by pulling the actuator rod off and seeing if you can move it freely. if its working properly you should be able to pull the rod out a little and also move the little lever that the rod is attached to back and forth. If the rod doesnt move, then the wastegate actuator is bad, and replacing it should solve the problem. If the lever on the turbo doesnt move, then thats another problem enitrely and im not sure what you'd do for that other than replace the turbo :? .

Also you might want to try taking the car to another mechanic to get a second opinion.

Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i wish one of you turbo smart people lived around here. thanks for the advice. i wll go hame and try to find out what the rod and wastegate and stuff look like and do what you said. i will also try another mechanic! thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts