Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, its not mine, hence posting in the sightings section...

So we're pounded with the snow storm last night, lost power around 8 pm. With nothing to do, we put the twins to bed and hit the sack ourselves.

Around midnight we hear what at first I thought was a snow plow. But then recognize the sound of a racing engine and spinning tires.

Wife and I look out the window and we see billows of smoke from a car (at this point, we have no idea what it is), the engine absolutely balls-to-the-wall racing, then BANG!!

I'm thinking, you idiot. You've blown it up. Smoke is everywhere. Neighbor across the street, goes out to "help".

Next thing you know, the passenger, I'm assuming the wife (definitely female) storms off down the street, presumably toward home.

The guy gets back into the car and it's just a horrible noise trying to start it, and backs it up sort of into the ditch...

Fast forward to this morning: I awake to the power coming back on, house is about 59 degrees inside, but the furnace starts right up and starts warming things up.

I look outside, and there it is. A pre-'02 black 9-5 Wagon, nice bright coolant green puddle in the snow in front of it....

Sad. Again, what a total douche for destroying this car....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Amongst the numerous snowstorm-related TV news stories of late, I saw footage of a BMW driver blowing his car up like that. Lucky him for having his stupidity broadcast internationally.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regardless, there it still sits this evening, and it doesn't matter who destroyed it, destroyed it still is...

Hmm. doesn't really look worthy to get parts off of it for mine. Looks like a Linear, or what ever they were called back in '01. SE I suppose.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would agree with that observation. I mean, if you can't get up the hill, spinning your tires past redline isn't going to magically make it happen. In a way he got what he deserved (huge repair bill, or totalled car, take your pick).

The car certainly did NOT deserve that abuse.

Future reference: SNOW TIRES.

(no one around here in northern Virginia EVER buys them, 'cept me...)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Just saw a guy in a Crossfire out side my dorm trying to get out of a parking spot. I lawled at him for a good minute before some other guys came over to help him. Over revving the crap outta it.

One of the helpers said to the driver "get your fat girlfriend to sit in the back!"

I walked away saying to my self...another reason why crossfires suck.

Also saw a camaro get suck.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would agree with that observation. I mean, if you can't get up the hill, spinning your tires past redline isn't going to magically make it happen. In a way he got what he deserved (huge repair bill, or totalled car, take your pick).

The car certainly did NOT deserve that abuse.

Future reference: SNOW TIRES.

(no one around here in northern Virginia EVER buys them, 'cept me...)
Ain't that the truth. Only reason I don't have any right now is due to $$, not a lack of sense. I just get the gf to let me use her 4x4 if its really gross out.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell me you aren't serious. You get in trouble for changing your own oil in your own garage in Vt???

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yeah i hear VT is srsbsns, i saw a dude working on his car over a storm drain the other day.... i'm hoping he was just using the snow around it as a way to gain some ground clearance, it seemed oddly 3rd worldish, not sure how to better describe it.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Tell me you aren't serious. You get in trouble for changing your own oil in your own garage in Vt???
Probably not as much trouble as if you were to buy a house where the true location of the septic tank was unknown.

I was thinking of doing that back in my Vermontian era when the environmental reporter I worked with basically told me the state could come knocking at any moment not only to mandate I put in new system but remediate the old system. o_O

But, yeah, they're VERY concerned about such things up there. They also get a little miffed each spring when the ice goes off Lake Champlain because there tends to be a period when a lot of ashes of winter deceased get dumped all at once....

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even if you have a catch bucket ant recycle the oil? Still a no-no? remind me not to move there. And I thought VA. had draconioan laws...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Jim, I'm over-exaggerating, but VT and its plethora of useless hippy legislators would pretty well throw the book at you if they really wanted to.

You can change oil, etc the same as anywhere, but if you did smash into a snowbank and spill coolant........if you got the wrong person to show up at the wrong time, with an ax to grind, it wouldn't suprise me in the least if you got a knock on your door from the eco-police regarding the "hazardous waste" spill you are responsible for.

Does it happen? Dunno, never seen it. Could it happen...........if it could, VT would be the frist place it would. Bar none.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts