Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 9-3S started making some really expensive-sounding knocking sounds. Before I got off the road and shut down (actually, it shut itself down when I pushed in the clutch) it sounded like John Henry was driving steel in my engine. It will still fire up, but the hammer is still in there. I'm probably going to need a new motor..... :cry:

What do you guys recommend? Should I stick strictly with a 1999 2.0, or would a T7 motor with its bigger turbo be better? What about a 2.3? Could I run either of these with the existing engine management? Now isn't the time to be bankrolling a bunch of other mods.....

·
10,303 Posts
No, if it was a 2.0 you had T5, a motor from a Viggen would need a new ecu, and some sensor changes.

The 2.3 in later years became T7 also. Your best bet is a stock engine from a 95-99 car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Not what I was hoping to hear, but it helps.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Hey welcome to the site. Nice mods you have there.

Couple questions...

1- Aside from the noise did you notice any differences in driving? If so you may have valve or rod problem.

2- When did this occur? During normal driving or aggressive?

If its a valve, and your good at working on engines, the valve can be replaced. If its a rod issue, then you may be better off replacing the engine cause im sure additional damage would've been done.

To answer your question however, if you need to replace your engine, I'd stick with a 2.0 T5 engine. There's a lot of work to convert a NG900 to a T7.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - As the noise got louder (happened within a couple of miles), the engine seemed to take more throttle to keep going. In fact, my VDO boost gauge was showing that I was boosting about 5 psi just to keep up with traffic on fairly flat interstate. That's when I decided to stop.

2 - I was driving easier than I normally would, because I had noticed a faint tapping when I statred the car. I was 35 miles away from home, and made the decision (bad, in retrospect) to try to limp home. The last drive prior was quite aggressive - I was playing around with a current-generation M3 convertible - stayed glued to his back bumper up to 135, then let him go....car was still running great when I parked it. I hadn't previously noticed any noise.

I had just changed the oil two days prior (I use 5W-30 Royal Purple), and coolant was good and clear. So much for good maintenance....

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
From the sound of it, you bent a valve. This may have caused the knocking, and bad performance because of the lack of compression. If you can check the compression you can find out exactly which chamber is having problems. None the less its going to be alittle bit of work, but its alot easier than locating and replacing an engine...not to mention a lot less costly.

If you have some friends, or know anyone in the automotive field...mainly know how to work on engines, you maybe able to locate and fix the problem yourself.

·
7,595 Posts
not going to speculate on what the problem is, but from what you are saying it sounds quite serious. check all the fluid levels, be sure coolant is not in the oil and oil is not in the coolant. then check the compression and see what readings you are getting. we can tell you much more once you have that info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'm going to do a compression check. If that is ok (I doubt it) I will pull the oil pan and take a look from below.
I'll let you know what happens...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts