Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 9-3 has been acting funny lately. When i drive the car arround and have to stop for a minute or so (speratic)and wait for a light or car to move, my idle drops down low and then catches to rebound back to around the 1 where it should be. Then idles for a bit more and does it again. This happens every so often when i have the car in D and have to stop. It never happends when the car is in motion and does not happen when the car is idleing in park. Any iteas? Is the di cassette going (who knows when it was new), bad gas?
The only thing i can think that maybe i did is I changes the pcv nipple the other day and i had to use a different size hose (a bit smaller and harder)to connet it back to the valve cover nipple because the old hose had broke (not long enough anymore)along with the old pcv valve. Could that acount for the strange drop idle? I also have recently change the oil/filter(synthetic mobile 1 5w30, used techron 20 oz, and had atleast had half a tank of gas while this has been happening for the last 200 miles. I also wondered if it be the purge valve sticking.

Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
yes, check the hose......sounds like you might have a vacuum leak, so recheck all the lines for any sign of a leak....as for why it only does it in D and not in P confounds me, another possible is when it's doing it's funny idling, clamp the hose going into the MAP sensor...if that stops it, then it's either the hose going into the MAP sensor or the MAP sensor itself

good luck

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
check your plugs. My 9-3 after one year( 10,000 miles) was starting to stumble when idlign in the morning, and sometimes would stall. I pulled the plugs and most of the electrodes were worn away! :shock: They looke poitny instead of flat. I drive really hard, lots of hard acceleration, I guess they need to be changed more often than the 30K that Saab reccommends. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, i put new plugs in and the problem was gone. also if they look OK while you have them pulled check the gap and regap to spec if needed. good luck, hope it is not the DI. :shock:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts