Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from work last night and had a pesky VW GTI that kept revving at me every light that w stopped at. After 4 lights I got a little annoyed and decided just to see what it had going on. So light turns green (Westminister Blvd. going towards Seal Beach for those in Orange county) we take off and he got a good jump on me off the line but I quickly caught up and passed him with ease. We kept on at WOT until we got almost to the next light which was a stretch of almost 2 miles or so and when we go to the light I was probably 3 to 4 cars ahead of him. we stopped at a 76 station and talked for a minute of 2 and he told me he had a chipped ECU, exhaust, Cold Air Intake and a centerforce 4 puck racing clutch on his car and then commeneted on how pissed he was that an almost bone stock SAAB beat him. With all his work I was really surprised to have beaten him so easy as well but I guess its all in the car and driver combo and not just the car. Either way it doesnt matter to me I was just glad to have rabbit for dinner!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I have to say that I love my car! I love my Turbo and I can't wait to hook up a Stage 1or 2 ECU in the future and then go out and start hunting bigger prey!!!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
so did you ask if it was the vr6 or the 1.8t? and was it the newer ones?...good kill!!! thers a GTI around me that alrays drives by and lets off his BOV and i cant wait to see him on the street!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
to put it in perspective.. my buddy with his 1.8t with the exact mods u just listed plus more only put down 204whp.... the same day i put down my 219whp.....

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The difference in weight should make up for that power difference though. Ricot since you have more mods than I do I only anticipate putting down 185WHP or so. The 2001 1.8T GTI shipped with 150HP stock form but the ABD stage 1 ECU is good for 60+ HP according to their site and teh Eurotuner testing that was done last year. I would guess the exhaust and CAI would add another 10HP or so. The clutch is only good to hook up faster so no HP there. The GTi is still a good 300 to 400Lbs lighter than the my 9-3 but you never know.....still fried rabbit to me!

I did get to ride in a 1.8T Passat that was putting out 385WHP (w/NOS) and running low 13's on an Auto Tiptronic trans. It didnt have much off the line but man did it pull from 20 up!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
pfft - they are VW's!! lol - you know where I stand with THOSE cars - they will NEVER be fast - only quick. I know toooo many people who think these cars are meant to be tunners - they aren't! Only a FEW can be and should be played with - the VR6 and the 20 Valve Turbo - the 1.8's have nothing nor is there much for them to make them "quicker." I do respect the body style of the GTI and the Corrado - but I would never buy one unless it was under $300 and ran like a champ. They are cars meant to get you from point A to point B with minimal problems. VW has yet to build a car with WORKING electrical - no matter how much they hide that fact - the 2004's are starting to show this now as well. As for that "rare" Fast VW - the factory R32 - nice concept - but that price was tottally out of hand. Besides - those cars were overrated. I'll take a 1998 9000 CSE for about $4,000 and put close to $1500 into it and I can get 300+ Bhp - a VW will be LUCKY to break 200+ Bhp. And yes - I am biased against the company for several reason's - main one - I've owned one - and my sister sill owns one. The owners of VW's are almost always the same too - they think their cars are hot shit - and that their shit don't stink. I can't tollerate people of this sort. I am very open to all brand - rice rockets - trucks, and anything you can throw at me - but when we get to the VW - I'm just gonna keep walking unless i see a really big Turbo or Supercharger next to the painted battery cover and matching color overflow tank for tha radiator...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Here is a little explanation of how the chips for 1.8t engines work: regardless of the factory hp... the chip will only raise the boost so it is up to 200bhp.... so if u start with a 150hp model it will gain 50hp... if u start with the 178hp or whatever it is u only gain 22hp.... the difference in teh cars was only software from the factory... alll the same hardware stock.... so no matter what the car has stock it will end up with the same hp with a stage 1 chip

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have a good friend who had a 02' gti 1.8t and he had a MBC running 15 .. stock he said they only run like 7 so it wasnt very good for the car.. also had full 2.5" exhaust , CAI, FPR, short shifter, upgraded cam.. (i think its a SOHC) and we would run and i would have him by a carlength or 2 up to 110mph or so (when my car was stock everywhere except for a air filter) so i can understand how most bone stock saabs can run with a pretty heavily modded VW..

another note.. those cars come wiht a T25.. aka the 185hp turbo on 9-3 (LPT)
he would spool a lot faster than me and pull a tiny bit in each gear, but when we would hit 4300 or so te TD04 would just keep boosting whereas he would always complain of his boost dropping off a lot

·
Registered
140 Posts
our most recent meeting (w/out my ecu) but including lal my other mods, i would have around 4 carlengths on him or more.. its amazing how much the turbo can breathe better with exhaust and intake

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
The owners of VW's are almost always the same too - they think their cars are hot shit - and that their shit don't stink. I can't tollerate people of this sort.
good thing im a saab owner huh!!!?!?!! 8)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
iwantaviggen said:
BurnsSide42 said:
The owners of VW's are almost always the same too - they think their cars are hot shit - and that their shit don't stink. I can't tollerate people of this sort.
good thing im a saab owner huh!!!?!?!! 8)
sure is - we're only strange - not like those CRAZY ovloV Driver's - they are just pure craziness....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
saab4life said:
another note.. those cars come wiht a T25.. aka the 185hp turbo on 9-3 (LPT)
he would spool a lot faster than me and pull a tiny bit in each gear, but when we would hit 4300 or so te TD04 would just keep boosting whereas he would always complain of his boost dropping off a lot
u ren't talking about VW's coming stock with a t25 i hope... far from it man it is a ko3 turbo some had a ko3 sport... some of the smallest turbos i have ever seen....... they dont run mitsu turbos or garrett turbos stock...

·
Registered
140 Posts
good call.. i meant the equivalent to the T25.. thanks for clearing that up

·
Registered
584 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
pfft - they are VW's!! lol - you know where I stand with THOSE cars - they will NEVER be fast - only quick. I know toooo many people who think these cars are meant to be tunners - they aren't! Only a FEW can be and should be played with - the VR6 and the 20 Valve Turbo - the 1.8's have nothing nor is there much for them to make them "quicker." I do respect the body style of the GTI and the Corrado - but I would never buy one unless it was under $300 and ran like a champ. They are cars meant to get you from point A to point B with minimal problems. VW has yet to build a car with WORKING electrical - no matter how much they hide that fact - the 2004's are starting to show this now as well. As for that "rare" Fast VW - the factory R32 - nice concept - but that price was tottally out of hand. Besides - those cars were overrated. I'll take a 1998 9000 CSE for about $4,000 and put close to $1500 into it and I can get 300+ Bhp - a VW will be LUCKY to break 200+ Bhp. And yes - I am biased against the company for several reason's - main one - I've owned one - and my sister sill owns one. The owners of VW's are almost always the same too - they think their cars are hot shit - and that their shit don't stink. I can't tollerate people of this sort. I am very open to all brand - rice rockets - trucks, and anything you can throw at me - but when we get to the VW - I'm just gonna keep walking unless i see a really big Turbo or Supercharger next to the painted battery cover and matching color overflow tank for tha radiator...
Oh, the irony.

Once again Burnside shows his ignorance. . .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts