Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's gotta be some knowledge about old Hondas here...or maybe someone can point me to one of the hundreds of forums that would actually be helpful.

I've got a friend with an '89 Honda and the timing belt went out. As far as I know the engine was turned off very quickly. A shop quoted some huge amount of money, and said they would buy it from her for 200 bucks, so I am a little suspicious...

Supposedly the head is now bad and needs to be replaced. I'm hoping that maybe all it needs is to be machined. I guess my question is, what could I possibly be looking at here, as far as damage and cost go? And any advice on the disassembly process would be great too.
I'm supposed to tear into it Friday evening.

TIA

·
Registered
149 Posts
There's gotta be some knowledge about old Hondas here...or maybe someone can point me to one of the hundreds of forums that would actually be helpful.

I've got a friend with an '89 Honda and the timing belt went out. As far as I know the engine was turned off very quickly. A shop quoted some huge amount of money, and said they would buy it from her for 200 bucks, so I am a little suspicious...

Supposedly the head is now bad and needs to be replaced. I'm hoping that maybe all it needs is to be machined. I guess my question is, what could I possibly be looking at here, as far as damage and cost go? And any advice on the disassembly process would be great too.
I'm supposed to tear into it Friday evening.

TIA
i had a 1996 civic, the timing went while i was at a stop light. The cost i paid was $1,700 to get it fix. when this happens it really causes alot of damage, compare to my jetta that i had, the same thing happened to that and it was only $850, but the damage was worse on my civic. but that is what the cost you will be looking around or lower.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had a 1996 civic, the timing went while i was at a stop light. The cost i paid was $1,700 to get it fix. when this happens it really causes alot of damage, compare to my jetta that i had, the same thing happened to that and it was only $850, but the damage was worse on my civic. but that is what the cost you will be looking around or lower.
Wow that sucks dude. That is close to the quote that my friend got. Did they tell you what they ended up replacing?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after a little more research, I've found that this is an interference engine. Uh oh.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Well, after a little more research, I've found that this is an interference engine. Uh oh.
Yup, was going to say that this is the reason. Can be hard to tell how bad it is exactly till the heads off.

Might be cheaper to source a replacement motor and see what the install cost is.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow that sucks dude. That is close to the quote that my friend got. Did they tell you what they ended up replacing?
As i remember when i was writing the check the mechanic said that i bent all my valves and some other things regarding to the belt and the cam on the engine. But the damage was so bad he said that he had to send my head out to some place, and i cracked something else i don't remember what he said exactly, but it was nothing near to the damage on my jetta.

Honda are good automobiles, but when the timing belt goes its sooo bad!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yup, was going to say that this is the reason. Can be hard to tell how bad it is exactly till the heads off.

Might be cheaper to source a replacement motor and see what the install cost is.
Really good you brought this up, Marks 9-3. If i knew i was going to put that much into my civic i would of bought a V-tec engine for it, because $1,700 dollars for all that work, on a D series engine from honda! i was kicking myself in the ass for months after spending that much money on that engine to get fixed i realized after that one of my friends was selling an H22 engine from his prelude for only $1,400, it had only 89k on it. I was soo bummed.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I told her that things look pretty grim. I won't see the car until Friday so I'm not really sure what sort of shape it's in, if it's really worth getting it fixed...

Could I just throw a new timing belt on and see if, by some sheer luck, no valves are bent or anything? If stuff is broken, it's just a waste of 20 bucks or whatever a timing belt costs, I guess. It would be much easier than pulling the head off, and I hate to do a bunch of work for something that is probably not going to help much...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Could I just throw a new timing belt on and see if, by some sheer luck, no valves are bent or anything? If stuff is broken, it's just a waste of 20 bucks or whatever a timing belt costs, I guess. It would be much easier than pulling the head off, and I hate to do a bunch of work for something that is probably not going to help much...
Probably not, but good luck.

The self destructing engine was a design fault of that era Honda. I believe it resulted in a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
d15's and d16's go for very cheap at any jdm engine supplier. straight swap. make sure you pick out the right engine, because if you pick up a vtec engine, you'll have to start wiring [its only 3 wires :)]

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would do the engine swap, but I'm pretty sure it would be months before it would get done lol. We live in different cities and I'm only there on the weekends when I'm off of school. I hate to have the car down so much longer than it already has been (it's been a couple of months since she first asked me about it :confused:). But I guess there's no getting around that. Blech. Any guesstimate on what an engine costs? I'll have to source an engine hoist...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would do the engine swap, but I'm pretty sure it would be months before it would get done lol. We live in different cities and I'm only there on the weekends when I'm off of school. I hate to have the car down so much longer than it already has been (it's been a couple of months since she first asked me about it :confused:). But I guess there's no getting around that. Blech. Any guesstimate on what an engine costs? I'll have to source an engine hoist...
What ever you do man, good luck.... Don't make the same mistake that i did.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Quick search brought this well known site up.

JDM Engine Depot

Replacement D15B with all accessories is $449 and has a 90 day warranty. (Their performance oriented motors have a 30 day).

Just a start but I would assume whatever you find should/will be less if you go that route.

·
Registered
330 Posts
we've swapped a d-series in 3 hours with a team of 3, obviously have done this a few many times with tools needed :p

in all honesty, it should take you about 10 hours for the swap, doing it alone with tools

GL

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not bad. Thanks for the link. Hopefully I can find something in a junkyard for even less than that.

Sha-d, anytime I do work on a car, you can pretty much multiply the time it takes most people by three...at least. I ALWAYS run into big problems. Just ask Sleepy, snowsaab, or Poisonbeef...lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts