Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my pressure plate and clutch disk in my 900 and I'm having problems getting the slave cylinder and pressure plate/clutch disk to fit back all togather in their small spot between the tranny and flywheel.

Any ideas how to get them to fit back in place or how to get the fingers on the pressure plate to compress?

·
Registered
516 Posts
So you don't have the pressure plate compressed with the special ring tool or suitable substitute installed? The fingers need to be compressed for everything to fit, also it all has to go in as a unit. (Dont bolt the disc and PP in and then try and install the slave)

There is also a special tool that can be used to compress the pressure plate, since you probably don't have it, you will need to get creative. Try searching, I know I have read some different ways of doing it, I think they were on here. Basically, find something that will fit on all the fingers that can be used to apply even pressure. Then find a way to press it in. After that, install a spacer to keep it compressed. Hopefully someone will chime in with a more specific way of doing this. I have only used the special tools.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
yep, compress the pressure plate, install tool. I've also found ziptying everything together helps. Just remember to cut off the zip ties once you have that clutch shaft back through.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have the tool, but I've used a piece of low gauge copper wire with greater success. Depends on the pressure plate too, the sachs plate is a different design than oem. smaller diameter where the 'fingers' of the spring are.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I've also compressed them by putting it on the ground under a car and using a bottle jack to compress them. Just don't overdo it. If you over-compress them you can ruin the pressure plate.

My clutch ring of choice is an old handle off a 5-gallon pail bent into the proper shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts