Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a black '88 SPG today for a clean $400 and $60 for a tow home.

The car has 224k on the clock and had been sitting for over a year before I came and got it. The battery had exploded from sitting so long, but with hardly any coaxing at all it fired right up with no complaints, coughs or sputters. Even the AC still works! Idles smooth and the alternator holds its own even with a blown up battery.

It currently has no brakes (master cylinder suspect), no 3rd gear and a leaky rear brake caliper. The guy I bought it from put a Swedish Dynamics APC, MSD ignition coil, open air intake, and mustang injectors on it (hence no 3rd) and I guess the thing absolutely screams when it ran. He said that he was able to blow the grommets off the intake manifold.

At any rate.. it needs a good wash and some minor cosmetic stuff. A new headlamp bracket would be nice as this one flops around quite a lot. The interior is clean, body is straight with a clean title and no DMV back fees. It's currently making base boost for one reason or another, but so does my other c900, so I'm not worried about it. Just another thing to troubleshoot.

I'm going on a rather long trip to move my mom to Shreveport, LA soon, so once I get back from that I'll be able to dig into it and find out all of its... quirks... Definitely worth $400. The man I bought it from had fallen on very tough times and is homeless. We initially agreed on $400, but after finding out that it had no brakes he lowered it to $300. I just couldn't bear not giving him the extra $100. If I had a steady income I would have easily given him $800 for it, mostly because he was such a nice guy and he really deserved it.

Here's some crappy night shots. It's incredibly hard to focus a camera when you can't see anything.. so, sorry about that. More pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Nice. I'm not sure where you're located, but I have a set of realllllly nice '88 SPG front seats that I picked up for my black '88SPG a few years back. They've been stored inside ever since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts