Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brothers and I just picked up an 85 SPG today, and figured I'd start a project thread. The body is very solid, there is some surface rust on the door bottoms and a small patch in the spare wheel well, should be pretty easy to take car of that stuff. To get the car running we need a new APC unit(just ordered) And the pinion bearing in the tranny is bad. The tranny will be coming out to get new bearings and I might also get a steel diff cover and run a transmission oil cooler. Once the car is running the bumpers will go on and it will need some cleaning up.

Here is a list of current mods from the PO:

-Centerforce clutch
-Garret t3/t4 hybrid turbo
-front mount intercooler
-phantom grip L.S.D. differential
-3" turbo back exhaust system
-Koni adjustable shocks and Swedish Dynamics springs

Future plans include a T5 conversion.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pbelperr

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Cool.

Gonna park next to mine in lot44?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Nice pickup. Looks like a solid project. Love that whaletail! If you ever want to sell it, PM me. Good luck with the car!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This car won't be making its way out to Amherst until next year, but look for my black Aero in lot 44, or my brothers red 9-3.

·
User
9,193 Posts
I spy an erebuni kit... I've heard horror stories of getting those things to fit properly. Hopefully you won't have to much of a hard time!

Anyways, it looks to be a solid buy for the price it was listed for. The body looks to be relatively solid from the pictures with only a little minor surface rust (that I can see anyways). Also, did you disconnect all of the stuff in the engine bay, or was it like that?

Also, so that was YOU in the Burke hill climb video I was watching on youtube. I was wondering whose 9k Aero that was! Ever been to the Mt. Ascutney hill climb? Most of the cars in the Burke video go to the Ascutney one as well. Some of them are actually from Claremont ;).

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havn't decided if I am going to use that kit yet, the car came with all of the stock trim pieces, except a rear bumper. If I can source one of those I think I wont use the erebuni kit.

Last season was my first hill climb season, I did Burke and Okemo. That aero was totaled two weeks before ascutney, so I missed it. I plan on running all the events this year. Most people seem to go to all of them, everyone is pretty cool too. Do you ever go to Ascutney?

The pictures show the car as I picked it up, with stuff disconnected. The rust that is there is all surface stuff. He put it on a lift, and the underside and frame rails are all really solid.

·
User
9,193 Posts
Nice... as long as the control arms / cv shaft tunnels are solid, you should be golden.

As for Ascutney, I haven't raced there, but I have spectated. I might do a hill climb this year though, I really want to! Plus, Ascutney is only about 8 minutes from my house, and Okemo is only 25 - 30 min.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That was the one up in the for sale section that had the SPG intercooler on it...a few days ago right?

Looks like a good project.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it is the same one. Zach, i would recommend running a hillclimb.(especially since your so close) I raced an Aero and 900T last year and had a blast.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Just curious, what are those worth nowadays?
If they are real OEM, in good shape, and not warped, you could easily get $400 I think. Maybe more if you throw it on ebay and a bidding war happens.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
This car is for sale on craigslist?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
When you can take some pics Id like to know how the paint really is.

edit nvm didnt see the link

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Saabeh, yes the car was on craigslist. The list of mods is stuff already on the car. T5 wont happen until after the car is running and on the road. Will the RR FPR work with T5? Also, what are peoples opinions on adding a steal diff cover and running a tranny oil cooler?

http://picasaweb.google.com/pbelperr

·
User
9,193 Posts
Best person to ask about running a tranny cooler on a c900 is GM (Gary Moore)... He had great success with his setup.

Also, the steel diff covers are a good investment.

·
User
9,193 Posts
If they are real OEM, in good shape, and not warped, you could easily get $400 I think. Maybe more if you throw it on ebay and a bidding war happens.
Yeah, but this one is a replica, and was less than 400 new. They also tend to have fitment issues with the window seal. I'd say at best, the replica's are worth around 150 - 200.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
the RRFpr will "work": as it it will run the car, but its pretty tuff to properly tune a fuel rate when there is a dumb mechanicl device altering fuel pressure at an unknown rate

1 - 20 of 364 Posts