Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No comments about the filthy rug though........

·
Registered
461 Posts
O O O I know!! They are 2.47 ghz taser laser phazer guns from the planet Marklar!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saabkid you are correct, you name is now Saabkid44 as per this thread.

They are infact the struts and springs from a 04 STi with 4k on them. I scored them off ebay for 455 bucks which is an insane steal considering all that hardware would cost 1500 new. I'll need to get new rear strut mounts (top hats) because they're different on the wagon but yeah I'm a little closer to building my own 9-2X STi.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
4 wheel strut suspension - yeah - I like double wishbone :D however - if the rear of my 9000 woulda had struts - it may of cornered better.... meh - go figure - good score tho. Can't wait to see this Saabaru in action one day. 8)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
yeah definetly a good deal..ive seen em go for 1200-1700. Are you surfin around nasioc.com for parts? i used to be a subi guy and have a friend with a 537whp sti....its sick...i think im gonna love your car.

cant wait to change my name either lol

·
Registered
461 Posts
JESUS CHRIST 537 WHP?!!!! I would shit my pants in that car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"But why not just buy a WRX STi?"

For one I think the subbies are ugly, plus I didn't want to leave the family.

Also I paid about 25k for my 9-2x where as the STi usually commands prices above it's 32k msrp.

My goals for my first round of tuning are not huge powerwise, I'll push as much as 300hp which is the max you can do with the stock turbo and 93 octane gas.

I'm going to add a catless uppipe and STi intercooler and then take it to KTR performance in Boston and get it ECUtek tuned on their awd dyno.

If I want more power then that I'll really need to think about rebuilding the engine with stronger parts and stronger gears/clutch/pp and maybe even drive shafts so that's not in the cards for now....

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Nice find on the stock STi bits there!!

If you can get your hands on it pick up a 6speed Jspec gear box for it down the road. My buddies have all eaten there gear boxes in their WRX's and that seems to be a weak point with the drivetrain. Some how I don't see SAAB being as nice as the Subaru folks and doing a free in warranty tranny swap after it got destroyed from power adders.

If you look on Ebay you can find the Jspec trannies occasionally for 2K or so but they will handle like 600HP without strenghtening to the internals of the tranny.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
hey technicly i was right too.....can i get partial credit?.....

yes i too cant waitto see your car finished!

you got some good plans for it~!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay you get 3.5 points, but you would have got ten if you said "Some stutrs and shocks that probably won't fit your car"

I found out the front strut bodies may be different, if that's the case I may go another route....bottom line though I can consider these a down payment on something else and probably turn them around for a few hundred more than I paid for them in the first place....

I shoulda done more research first, oh well time to make some friends in subbie forums.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
there actually different? everything i read lead me to believe sti suspension would bolt right up...or atleast loks like it should?

anyway if you need toget rid of em ive got a sucker who might pay alllloooottt for em lol or try the nasioc.com classifieds

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The suspension bolted right up, apparently I can only get about -.5degrees of camber, though 1 would be ideal. Since the stock setting is .25 though, I still net an improvement. I basically adjsuted both sides to max negative to hold me over till I can get a pro alignment.

The overall feeling is awesome but a bit weird. The car is lower, but only marginally. Handling is much improved, but so is ride quality. The car soaks up bumps better, it's basically a hard damper/soft spring set-up. I still need to replace a few bushings and links to tighten it up fully and obviously things won't be sharp while I'm riding around on my all-season touring tires, but once it warms up and get some lightweight wheels w/kumho mx's...I'm expecting even more ridicolously good handling then i'm experiencing now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'm interested to hear about other Scoobie mods that will transfer to the 92x.

post pics of the suspension installed and settled when you get a chance so we get an idea of ride height.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts