Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a question about 6x9 speakers in general. I saw many of these on ebay. What is the difference between these thick magnet speakers and the regular thinner speakers?
Which one will sound better overall?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Bigger the magnet - the bigger the thump - usually true anyways. I am not a fan of 3-way or 2-way speakers... I prefer component sets - gives much better quality sound, and can handle far more - down side - costs more, and takes a little more thinking to hook up - but well worth it in the end. I am an Infinity Referance Series and Alpine loyal customer - I will never buy Sony - or anything Pioneer for speakers as well as other brands - some are OK - but for the money you can get far better quality.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
and the fact that there is no way in hell that those speakers will fit in the back of your car, the speakers back there have really small magnets, thus, the opening is really small, to get those speakers to fit you will need to cut, and the metal back there isn't aluminum, it's tough stuff. i recomend getting a 6 inch round speaker, sound is better coming from a round speaker than an ovular one. i got the infity fx6's, very very happy with them

~justin

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
My driver's side rear speaker just started buzzing pretty distortedly lately....

So what 6x9 speaker will actually fit in the rear of a NG900? I want an easy replacement speaker option. What do people have? I want something with tons of bass! Are JBL GTO926 2-way speakers good? How about the AUDIOBAHN AS69Q 3-Way Speakers 800 Watts?? What's the max W size we can have in the back anyway? Keep in mind I do not have the stock 900 amp...Looking to get one....

EDIT: Holy crap. How the hell do you remove the rear speakers! I just spent like an hour out there trying to figure it out. The speaker sits on a piece of metal that's attached to the frame, so I figured that would just come off....Is this how you change the speaker? Completely remove the metal frame holding the speaker, in order to get to the bolts closest to the window? Lot of work to change a damn speaker....

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea like Burnsy said...larger the magnet the harder the thump. Bigger is always better there.

As far as replacing the rears...I've done it, and yea it can be a bitch. Basically all of the screws are easy to get out except for the ones nearest the windows. Then it helps to have a small hand.

Actually replacing the speakers though, anything will "fit" persay, because you the trunk lining is semi flexable...there's no metal or anything covering them.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought a pair of Audiobahn AS96Q 6x9 speakers. Very low frequency level for those bass tones....On sale at Circuit City so I go and pick them up today...

A sample image from ebay:

Stats;:

Speaker Type: 2-Way
Frequency Response: 25Hz-20kHz
Peak Power Handling: 200 W
Sensitivity: 95dB
Butyl Rubber Woofer Sound Material
Black poly carbon Woofer Cone Material
Continuous Power Handling Of 180 Watts (rms)
40 Oz Magnet On Woofer Driver

I will post detailed pics and instructions later on the installation...And of course a review on the product...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well the install is complete. Only one little flaw, I still hear a slight buzzing from the passenger side speaker, might have not tightened something...Anyways...The speakers are amazing despite the somewhat difficult install. Instead of splicing the stock power wires to the speakers, I used the white cap in the old speakers and connected it to the new speaker connection spot. I have pictures, but didn't take a finished product pic yet so I will wait to post them all. And I didn't take pictures of the install...Sorry guys....Too frustrating for me.

Well despite the speakers being too wide for the stock slot, I was able to get them relatively tightened close to the base, and the stock grille still fits over-top everything to hide the new speakers. The bass is amazing. Can almost here it outside of the car now :D It was a pain to remove the stock speakers, since I had to remove the whole black level that holds the speaker up. But the second one only took 15 minutes to install once I knew what I was doing.

Like I said I will post pics soon. I can write an install if anyone needs it, sorry I didn't take pics though...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Audiobahn Pics!

Here are the long awaited pics:

Magnet Comparison stock is on the right of course:

Closeup of the custom wiring I did to keep the stock piece there, so I wouldn't have to splice the wires:

And here's the final result:

You can see it didn't fit all the way down like the stock system did, but it still fit!

The best part about it, it still looks stock:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
awesome - and you paid how much? I'll need to figure out speakers for the SPG when I'm to that point - but i'm not sure if I wanna use stock size or mount to shelf... I kind wanna keep it stock looking.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I have the same AUDIOBAHN AS96Q 6X9's in my 1999 9-3. They on the other hand will not fit in with the speaker cover on because the bottom housing makes the speaker sit up to high. I had to pull out my carpet and install underneath the holder and have the magnet sit on the fold of the carpet. A pain in the ass. Also had to mount at an angle on the right side of the car because for some reason under the carpet there is a molded metal bump that is part of the cars frame. So the right speaker cant sit flush to the underside of where you would screw them in. Still works and sounds good though. Just not the typical drop and replace i'm use to.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
soccerrplyr said:
I have the same AUDIOBAHN AS96Q 6X9's in my 1999 9-3. They on the other hand will not fit in with the speaker cover on because the bottom housing makes the speaker sit up to high. I had to pull out my carpet and install underneath the holder and have the magnet sit on the fold of the carpet. A pain in the ass. Also had to mount at an angle on the right side of the car because for some reason under the carpet there is a molded metal bump that is part of the cars frame.
i just installed my 6x9s and i too had a problem with them sitting to high, so i also mounted them under. I did not have much of a problem with hitting the carpet though. BTW, i have a 99 9-3 also

the "bump" on the right side is where the gas line runs for refueling

1 - 14 of 14 Posts