Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just all this trannnnyy shit has got me thinking of how much i wish i had a 6 speed....

is it possible and how much would it cost?

·
Registered
251 Posts
why do u want a six speed......its not like you want a lower first gear than you already have, or 2nd for that matter. i think the gearing is pretty good. It would be way too expensive but i think that someone like nordic or hirsch has one....probably like 6 grand......if u think thats worth it your crazy

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
There is a Quaife 6-speed kit for select saab 900ng/9-3 gearboxes. I do agree that with such a broad powerband there is really no need. I have not used all of my 5th gear in the viggen... :wink: Yes I have tried...

·
Registered
251 Posts
i thought montana used to have no speed limit.......and now they only have speed limits in the daytime..... :? , its very wierd that u probably have the most powerful car on here and live in the loosest area for law enforcement and you havent used all of 5th :wink: i have gotten up to 135....im not trying to kill myself or lose my license for a few years :D. i might have gone faster but i tend not to look down when im doing it

·
Registered
546 Posts
With my rev limit raised to 7000, 5th gear will go up to 185 mph. That's calculated of course, with my horsepower I could only make it to 165 or so. I see no need for 6 gears, but it would be nice if 1st and 2nd were a bit longer.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Nick, is the Quaife 6-spped kit dog or synchro engagement? I've seen their 6-speed kits for other makes and I think they were all dog.

Like everyone else has said, I don't see the need with a wide power band. But if you had some absurdly modified car and you were making all your power in a little narrow range, I could see the need. . .

·
Registered
251 Posts
wow, im an idiiot....lol. thanks for the correction. gotta learn my states :oops:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dead Centre said:
Here ya go chaps.

Box of 6 cogs

The guts are a standard GM set from the F25 transmission that was used in the Vauxhall Vectra.

Dead
Sounds pricey for a plain synchro'd gearset from another production car. . . But man, those look like a very short, close bunch of gears - just how a 6-speed should look, but definitely not what I'd ask for on a torque monster Viggen. . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
driver found wrote:

Sounds pricey for a plain synchro'd gearset from another production car. . . But man, those look like a very short, close bunch of gears - just how a 6-speed should look, but definitely not what I'd ask for on a torque monster Viggen. . .
To be honest most of the GM based cars have this standard gearset although the outer case (bell housing) were different. The set changed when the getrag box came out. However i would imagine that quafie have done work on this set for £2000 you would hope so.

Boxman on SC who recentley rebuilt my reverse gear train (after I stripped every tooth of the synchro and dog teeth!)Said that when he has rebuilt Vauxhall transmissions and ordered new parts they often turn up in saab cases.
I don'y know if the Viggen was different inside or just a bit tougher. My mate had a 200 BHP Irmscher kitted V6 Vectra (no turbo) and we put some serious power down and that box took it all.

Dead

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
WS said:
i thought montana used to have no speed limit.......and now they only have speed limits in the daytime..... :?
Montana has posted and enforced speed limits both day and night. 75 on interstate for cars, as low as 55 for trucks on smaller roads at night.

http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/speed_limit/

I wish there was still no limit, that would be a good enough reason to move there! :lol:

Funny thing is since they got federal funding to implement speed limits and enforce it, the amount of fatal accidents went up 111% :shock:

http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana_2001.htm

just droppin' some random internet links on yo' ass for da '04. :wink:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
P.S. Any Canadians on this forum? Can somebody please tell me why the hell evreytime I see a car with Canadian plates (usually Ontario and Quebec) here in NY they are driving so damn fast? :roll: Like at least 95 -110?

Do they think they are immune from US laws, or is it the Kilometers per hour/Miles per hour difference that has them confused? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts