Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone knows of an easily accessible 5V source in the dash or under the hood.

its part of a top secret project... jaykay.
pics/videos/explanation to come after I hook it all up.

tia.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Doubtful you'll find one...you may need to make/buy a step down transformer.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
something with USB I bets.

CarPC takes 12 volts...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
something with USB I bets.

CarPC takes 12 volts...
computers need 5 volts too. I suppose there are some computers that don't require it, but 5 volts is standard output on all computer power supplies.

You made me think of a cheap 5V solution though, you can buy an adapter to power USB devices from the cigarette lighter. I bought one that is really small, plugs into the lighter, and has two USB ports on it. You can plug any two usb devices into it.

Only cost 13 dollars at wally world.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Current demand?

you can use a 5 volt regulator from radioshack. they have three pins on them input (batt probably), common (0v ground), and output. They have current limitations though, commonly 1 Amp, but that is a lot in microelectronic terms. They work by shedding energy so it may be advisable to put them on a heatsink (the make small ones for to-220 package ic's or you can do as i did and get a piece of aluminum with thermal interface tape).

If you need a lot of power, get a DC-DC converter from www.mp3car.com, as mentioned.

Don't just use a resistor...the voltage drop across a resistor changes with current.

I don't believe you can use a step down transformer...those only work with ac currents.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahaha wow I am not doing anything crazy like a carpc, I am just looking for a way to actuate a small 5v solenoid in a projector lens. The solenoid controls the cutoff shield, allowing it to move, providing a full beam of light vs. a cut-off beam of light.

i'm guessing i could drop voltage via a resistor, but i'd prefer not to.

a dedicated power supply is excessive for this application, thanks for the good ideas though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts