Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got spanked, that's all, very surprised, car was quiet, looked all stock... what can be done to these things ( I was so surprised I had to see if my car was running right....

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
LSX Swap, nitrous, you name it.

There are no fast stock ones, unless Jameson can pull some 1 of 1 car out of his bottom. The 350tpi cars were all autos.

·
7,595 Posts
Anything you can do to any smallblock V8 car. It may have had anywhere from 92 HP to 1000 HP, check out jegs.com.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
LSX Swap, nitrous, you name it.

There are no fast stock ones, unless Jameson can pull some 1 of 1 car out of his bottom. The 350tpi cars were all autos.
Correct.

To me the best iteration was the 305 TPI 5spd.

I have seen everything including 3.8 turbo swaps out of a Grand National.

A friend had a 305 TPI 5spd with a blower and cam and supporting mods and had 600hp and ran 10's.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured, should have said what can be done and look and sound very stock. Car was mint too...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
You know what's amazing to me is that I remember the ~'90 Z28 stock had less hp than a then-new Saab c900 with 4 less cyls. Yes, the Saab has a turbo, but jeez. The small block of the day was truly choked with emmissions controls until they figured out how to spell EFI....

·
Registered
791 Posts
You know what's amazing to me is that I remember the ~'90 Z28 stock had less hp than a then-new Saab c900 with 4 less cyls. Yes, the Saab has a turbo, but jeez. The small block of the day was truly choked with emmissions controls until they figured out how to spell EFI....
Very true. And even the first TBI and TPI motors weren't anything special. They only started to make some good power with the LT1 in the 4th gens.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
I think you are thinking of the TBI or throttle body injected V8's. They made all of 165-170hp in that time period. The TPI or tuned port injection made better numbers, in the 200-230 range depending on year and 5.0 vs 5.7 TPI.

The TBI's were absolute dogs, 16/17 second cars that even my 140hp Beretta would eat up when I was a kid.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yep. Cooworker back in the day had one and couldn't believe me whe I told him the numbers in the SPG I had at the time, or that it was a "four banger". :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
do what my lil brother did. (16yr old 89 z28) pull the 350 drop a 74' sbc 400 bore it .030 over swap the cams put an intake and carb on headers wrap them tight up the ign and 4:10 the ass. have pics if people would like. pm me havent really gotten to put my own pic up on here

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like you need a Holset! ;) and maybe a spare trans or two.... :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just so happen to have a fresh 2.3, forged pistons, Holset header, fresh HX35, and a spare transmission for sale... but it all comes together on a 97 Vert!!!.. $4500 FIRM... with stock viking wheels....all kinds of other goods...... WAY too much money invested to talk about... all the details are in the for sale section if interested! :D

I went Holset because for the price of an HX35 and manifold...that's about the price of a fresh GT3071... plus rebuilds for the Holsets are CHEAP in comparison! Just food for thought............ whatever you do....enjoy!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Didn't come in Camaro form, but you could get an 1989 Anniversary Trans-Am which came with the same powertrain as the Grand National.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I have a friend building a turbo SBC 3rd gen. He bought it with a 310whp 5.7, and stretched a couple T5 Boxes. He then found a deal on a large snail and decided the game was on.
I Pushed for an LSX swap, but he already purchased a SCAT rotating assy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts