Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
uh oh......

intalled the 3in. DP w/out cat. on my 2000 9-3se and first bad news was that it would rub on the subframe brace...so i took that off

next...i just got the check engine light after about 45 miles driving it around....i am going to check the O2 sensors....and wires...but what could it be?.....the ecu reading it as something bad?......why....its so good!!!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
About the CEL light. I believe its coming on because you removed the cat. Im not sure how to turn it off, but you may just want to reset your ECU (disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 min). I'd call up Nick at GenuineSaab first however.

About the rubbing. It shouldn't be doing that. Whoever you bought the DP from may have sent you the wrong one. I'd call up the seller, and present this problem to them.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
hahah with out cat!? how loud is that?
i was thinking of doing that... but i head it was loud as hell.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Boxerchip said:
hahah with out cat!? how loud is that?
i was thinking of doing that... but i head it was loud as hell.
Well my 9000T without ANY exhaust, just a cat just sounded a little more growly then with the rest of the exhaust, so i'd imagine not much different.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
so how would you go about fixing the o2 sensor?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the rubbing was expected....i plan on making a new one....

so i thought it would be the O2 wires getting hot on the engine but doesnt look like that....

i too think it might be the cat missing....and the second sensor reads that there is no cat....

i plan on getting one soon...thanks for the help!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I'd just install a high flow cat. They can be found online for about $35. That would keep noise down slightly, and should solve the CEL problem.

·
Administrator
254 Posts
I think it is because you have two O2 sensors. I only have one O2 sensor so I never got a CEL. The rubbing should have been expected because the DP makes it almost impossible to have a subframe brace. I am running a 3" with no cat and I love the sound. Not too ricey.

Kyle

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
true its not too ricy...but it is rather loud....

i will look into a high flow cat....

but because its a 2000 meening that its OBD2 i have two sensors and more restriction on what i can do....bummer

·
Registered
745 Posts
You have to disconnect your battery or pull the appropriate fuse for about 15 minutes.....this will reset the ECU. The ECU senses a delta in oxygen levels between the oxy sensors. More exhaust can flow out now, and the difference between oxy's is not apparent or changed because of the cat missing; also your ECU has to learn again.

There are also devices to fool the oxy sensors, but since your installing the race cat, it should solve your problem. Just remember to reset the ECU.

To get your ECU back to full boost ...(after reconnecting the battery terminal), drive her on a long uphill strech between 2500 to 3500 in 3-4 gear, and the ECU will adjust to provide full boost.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i thiught normal car computers adjusted themselves after time...

and that by disconnecting the battery was just a faster way to do it...

i have had it on for quite some time, month or so...and it performs great..just a little rattle...

·
Registered
745 Posts
your right....it would clear if the computer sees the difference in oxygen levels between sensors as normal....however with no cat, you'll probably get that CEL for a while.

I speak from the experience I had with my dp and race cat install late last year. Found that I had a broken wire off the sensor.

the rattling I had was from using a cheap clamp that broke off from a speed bump. I went with a band clamp after that experience.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
JT 3in Downpipe For 900NG, 9-3 Without Cat
Description: JT 3in Downpipe For 900NG, 9-3 Without Cat. Also repaces intermediate flex pipe. For Off Road Use Only Not for 96 and later cars.
You will have to add a cat to make it legal and to eliminate the power loss and warning light once trionic 7 realizes that there is not one. :wink:

Make sure that when they fit the cat it does not rub the oil pan.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea i just installed my full 3". Im getting rubbing as well, but ill make some adjustments. As for the cat..there seems to be plenty of space to add one later on.

Even though its not reccomended for 96 or later cars, Its well worth the slight modifications that you may need to do. IMHO of course.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I think he's talking about the power loss due to the ECU check light coming on, thus sending the system into "limp-home mode".

I wonder if simply resetting the ECU after installing a catless dp would help.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Not really "limp home" but airmass limitation limits torque to near 200nm.

Pulling power to reset check engine light is not a good idea there are many other adaptive functions in t7 that are nice to have. :wink:

Catalyst diagnostics can happen between 5 and 50 miles depending on driving conditions. Trust me you need to add a cat. The power difference is negligible.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
A nice race cat will hardly do anything other than make your car run.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW i did not know it limited tork...i DO plan on getting a cat but its rather time consuming and costly...im broke...

so putting in any cat, be it a race, high flow, or regular, will all turn off the CEL and bring it back to normal? oh and what type would you recomend?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts