Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Saab plans to muscle into the high-performance saloon market with an all-wheel-drive 300bhp version of the 9-3 that will gun for the Audi S4. The company has been testing its own four-wheel-drive system for the past two years, and insiders say the car should be ready by 2007.

Power is likely to come from a version of next year's new V6 engine, tuned from the standard 250bhp to 300bhp. Saab is likely to share technology from partners within the GM empire, and the forthcoming Vectra VXR is the most obvious candidate.

Torquesteer has plagued high-power Saabs in recent years, as power levels stretched the limits of front-wheel-drive chassis. The worst moment came with the 9-3 Viggen (right) in 1999, which comprehensively failed to put down its 225bhp with any degree of composure. Saab has throttled back on high-power front-drivers in recent years; the most powerful 9-3 now on sale is the 210bhp 2.0 turbo Aero."

See: http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_article.asp?na_id=209337
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6467

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
If they can iron out the handling, this car should be a winner....although I'd probably wait until the car had three model years under its belt on that hopped-up V6. I'd go postal if Saab screwed up again with those Vauxhaul engines, like it did with the NG900 V6s....

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
this is good news. by 2007 my car will probably have only 35000 miles on it, so looks like I will have time to wait for that 3rd model year to be sure that v6 is kosher! :lol:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Waiting is ALWAYS a good idea with any new model introduction. The 86 9000 sucked and was beset with electrical problems and the 94 NG900 handled like a pregnant hippo.

Give Saab time to iron out the kinks and that will be an amazing machine, although I'm curious about how much it will share with the Subaru Legacy...GM isn't going to waste development money on having Saab engineer its own AWD system, which makes me raise an eyebrow at the wording in that item. Fuji Heavy Industries probably supplied the engineering and Saab will probably going to source the entire chassis and drivetrain from Subaru, who already have a 300hp-proven AWD system....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mike saunders said:
.GM isn't going to waste development money on having Saab engineer its own AWD system, which makes me raise an eyebrow at the wording in that item. Fuji Heavy Industries probably supplied the engineering and Saab will probably going to source the entire chassis and drivetrain from Subaru, who already have a 300hp-proven AWD system....
I doubt it.

Firstly, the Epsilon architecture (underpinning the 9-3, Malibu, G6 and Vectra) was designed from the outset for AWD versions.

Secondly, adapting Subaru parts to Epsilon would cost more than designing one from scratch.

Thirldly, GM has a history of giving Saab lots o' dough for designing their own specific automobile systems that could easily be shared. Trionic is the best example. The unique engines of the 9-3 as well (yes a corporate block, but the rest is Saab).

So, this AWD system is likely to be an all-Saab design, however Subaru may be contacted for a little help doing it (since Saab knows f*ck all about AWD). There may be some ideas/components shared with the good Versatrak system used on the GM minivan chassis (Asstek, Venture et al).

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, Subaru's 300hp WRX STi doesn't put out much torque...

the Saab definately will, and definately enough to shred it to bits like a 454 pushing through a c900 5-speed :lol:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Definitely some good points. :) I remembered reading an item about the Episilon chassis being the highly adaptable platform of the future but I last I read, there wasn't going to be a decision on the AWD future of that chassis until the FHI/Saab partnership was worked out. Maybe the initial sales success of the 9-2x has sealed the deal...

I thought the Trionic work that Saab had already substantially completed in the early 90s was what initally made them so attractive to GM as a buyout target. Which points to another issue: will GM's use of Saab as a high-end test platform grow in the next few years? Or will it wane as GM looks toward rebadging as a prime way of keeping the brand alive?

Little Subies don't need much torque but the new Saab (if looks anything close to the somewhat bulky 9-x cross vehicle) will probably need it...I'll be first in line for a test drive!

·
Administrator
302 Posts
<OT>
The engine you say emanate from Vauxhall, is actually Opel, from Germany. Vauxhall is a brand that Opel aquired after WWII. They figured no Brit would want to buy a German car, so they bought Vauxhall (being British) and just rebadged Opel cars to Vauxhall. And they still do! Whenever I go to Britain I keep smiling at all the rebadged Opels :D
</OT>

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
General Motors bought out Vauxhall sometime in the early 20th century, maybe before 1925...??

GM bought Opel in 1928. Ford at the time was creating European factories to build Model T's in the 1910's, GM just decided to buy something that was already there.... :wink:

The engine is designed by Opel, but they were made at the plant in Ellesmere Port England, so it's sorta Vauxhall right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
this is good news. by 2007 my car will probably have only 35000 miles on it, so looks like I will have time to wait for that 3rd model year to be sure that v6 is kosher! :lol:
Why such low milage man??

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
jedi_master58 said:
abdukted1456 said:
Why such low milage man??
I live about 10 miles away from work. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts