Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group9 stainless 3" downpipe, a 3" flexpipe, and a high-flow cat, as well as my BSR cat-back. All I am looking to do is install the dp and get a straight section welded up with the flexpipe and cat, a flange on one end to mate to the dp and another on the other end to mate to the cat-back. This straight mid-section will only be about 4.5 feet long, so only about 3 ft of actual steel pipe will be needed.

I went to a local shop which seems to have a very good reputation around here for good exhaust work to get an estimate, and they said it would be about $300 for them to get it all welded and installed, and that was with aluminized steel ($12/ft vs $23 for stainless). I believe he said it would take between 2-3 hours at $77/hr for the welding. Does this sound reasonable? Should I spring for the stainless since the rest of the system is already stainless (including the cat and flexpipe)? Can anyone recommend a good place that can weld stainless in/around the Burlington/Winooski/Colchester area?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Well - you sort of confused me a bit on what's all there and being used to be put in - so I'll state what I had done and let you figure out the difference :)

On my 1995 9000:

I had an early JT 3" DP - Magnaflow Straight through 3" Muffler and a 3" in/out Catco Cat. I also took my car to a repitible exhaust shop and dropped it off in the morning - it was done by 5pm same day. I got galvanized steel (should have gone stainless looking back and looking at the exhaust now) and had them get me a 3" flex pipe since I didn't have one on hand. They cut the rear section of the DP off and tossed it (as it was needed) and filled in the rest and made all new hangers were the oem ones would have been. Came out nice - I even had them flange the cat so I could fit a test pipe (never did) or replace the cat if ever needed. Total Labor/material from the installation shop was $500 - plus my $100 Muffler and $40 Cat - DP was "Free." System still holding tight and no leaks - had minimal rattle issues I had to adjust, nothing major - and I added a finisher tip about 6 months later which made the look perfect imho.

Helpful?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, sorry for the confusion on my end. Basically what i'm looking for is something that looks like this:

|={FP}=[CAT]====|

with a flange on each end, and the whole thing only being less than 5ft long. And I am supplying the flexpipe, dp and cat.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Burlington brake/muffler seem to be the only folks around here that can actually bend pipes. I assume they can weld stainless for you, but if not maybe Hall's Hitches on Riverside in Burlington

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
That sounds reasonable, I would probably charge you more at my shop, but I'm not an exhaust shop. If it's quality work that is.

Drew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts