Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to gas law the only part "worthy" of 3" is the downpip from turbo to cat.
Anyone gone from 3" downpipe to full 3" and if so, what kind of performance did you see? Also, I would guess the sound lever rises. Could it still be nice for a nice highway ride or would it be too noisy? If so, would just the downpipe make it less noisy?

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Well, I have a 3" downpipe with no cat mated to the saab sport exhaust and I have noticed a HUGE difference. Spool up time is greatly reduced, especially when you downshift. Its quite noisy however. Being 20 I like it but I think its a bit much for most people. With a Cat I heard its a lot more reserved. I am very happy with it though and am extremely happy with the difference I have seen. :D

Kyle

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice, yea i bought a 3"dp and separately bought a 3" sports cat to put on it, and i am thinking about 2.5 " saab exhaust.. how is the muffler? look nice? i was thinking a DTM for that nice euro look , it would fit well in my bumper cutout too

·
Registered
140 Posts
last post was by me, aka 9-3saabnut, aka trifecta0211 aka AJ..

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
saab4life said:
last post was by me, aka 9-3saabnut, aka trifecta0211 aka AJ..
Where you been man!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a full 3'' exhaust on my previous 9000 2.3 turbo. (JT Superflow). I fitted the whole thing at once.. instead of in stages, but you're correct.. the biggest difference comes with replacing the downpipe with a 3'' one.

Better flow, reduced temps = good spool up.

You're looking at a 5 to 6hp increase with just the back box.. but a full 15 to 20hp increase with a full 3'' system.

If you have a turbo, the noise doesn't increase greatly.. unless you remove one of the mufflers... or don't go for a cat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know this is thread hasn't been visited for the longest time. I have a 3" after the 2.5" downpipe and its way loud! The high end on this is so much more accessible. It sucky in the lower rpms and it takes a long time for the boost to build up, but when it does, it kicks ass.

I'm waiting for the exhuast shop to do up the 3" DP for me and fit it in the next couple of weeks. From there, then I'll dyno the car to figure out how much the car is pushing out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts