Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab will be turbocharging the 2.8 liter V6 found in the CTS and putting it in the entire 9-3 lineup. Sans turbo the 2.8 puts out 210 horse 195 ft-lbs of torque so it is expected to be around 280 horse 280 ft-lbs with the turbo. Next summer we can expect this engine to be in the 9-3 sedan and convertible as well as the new 9-3 Sporthatch that will debut at about the same time. WOO HOO for more power!!!

Kyle

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah so we can expect Viggen type torque steer :x

Kyle

·
Registered
475 Posts
Do you have a link to this to check it out? If the 9-3SS has a much more rigid chassis than the viggen and if it gets the MU3 now with LSD there will be no torquesteer.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
hmmmm a Saabulac eh - could be interesting.. twin turbo? :p :shock: Saab needs to pick a damn V6 and stick with it - re-engineer it for some boost/performance and slap some twin turbo's on it - then make it "affordable" and compete with the STI, RX-8, WRX, EVO VIII and all those other "hot" cars head on. If they can get in on that market, but do it with Saab style, and match their prices - they'd be back in the game. using the new design of the 93 Convert they could make a bad ass lil coupe with a 2.5TT motor - and 280hp would be nothing - try 325 stock.... now that's what I'm talking about. (and maintain a fuel economy of say 21/27) - it's very doable. They just need to stop dicking around and get serious. As for the FWD - yes- if they'd master they ESP and drop in a LSD - or something along those lines and get a Getrag transmission - Saab would be set for racing! If they went with RWD, it more or less turn into a Subaru AWD drivetrain - it's gonna happen I'm sure - but I like my FWD over any AWD anyday. RWD does have it's perks - BUT - I don't think it's needed on a V6 - although - if they get a TT set up - a Posie Rear would kick ass - or a LSD. Anyone remember Kit? The Turbo V6 buick used in the Trans Ams and Grand Nationals... GM owns Buick right? Well... where' s the buick team to work with Saab???? Screw those damn Fujii cars - we don't NEED AWD - we need performance for the buck, and if BUICK can help make it happen - why not! GM needs to RE-hire the Saabtechs and get serious - they are ruining a good name slowly, but surely.

·
7,595 Posts
ha, I like FWD, but it has it's limitations. when you see the clouds of blue smoke coming out of a turn in any FWD turbocharged car with the TCS turned off and you know :lol:

just have to know how to handle it

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Why not just a smart AWD system?? One that when it senses the front wheels losing traction, the rears automatically kick in. That would definately help with the traction issue, and make us competitive to those still dominating TSi AWDs and Eclipse GSXs, aside from the Evos and STIs. (good god thats alot of acronyms).

·
Registered
274 Posts
The CTS is rear wheel drive, so is it out of the question that they're building the 9-3 on the CTS platform and then they would just use all of the CTS running gear? That could be nice, because then the parts from the CTS-V would fit... (including the 5.7l V 8) Also, according to Cadillac the CTS is a 3.6l V6, a tad bit bigger then a 2.8. Assuming that their website is correct, then this 3.6 is also rated at 255hp. Now if you threw a twin turbo on that, it would be insane...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Logan Leslie said:
Assuming that their website is correct, then this 3.6 is also rated at 255hp. Now if you threw a twin turbo on that, it would be insane...
And thus what we as the customer strive to acquire - back in the day (60's and 70's) factory cars rolled out off the line with "375bhp" when in real life they were underrated and truly laid down 425bhp right off the show room floor! What the hell happened?! I want a car that comes like this from the factory - once we have that - and the driving age is raised to 18 everywhere in the US - as it now is in the state of PA - accidents will fall - and cars will improve. Next step is all concrete roadways and perhaps an autobahn. Fine - I'm dreaming a little bit here - but isn't that the point - we all need to dream to achieve the "ultimate driving machine." If we can dream of a machine so powerful we embed ourselves into the lust leather of the car upon the g-forces it thrusts upon us as it accelerates off down the road, we can slowly gain the more realistic version of that beast - with no imagination by the car designers and engineers, the car market is just going to all become the same - boring, and pointless. a 2.8 or a 3.6 Twin Turbo motor would be insane - just think of how much fun YOU could have with that and some mods.... :twisted:

·
Registered
461 Posts
That would be nice if they did it stock, but why do that when it would take away business from my car shop? :D Just go buy the car then come in and lay down like 5k and I'll do it for ya. That is if you are a tsl member and assuming that I start my business this summer. Yes I have now decided to actually do it if I can find the investments and loans for it. YOu all convinced me

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To clarify, I should have mentioned that the 2.8 liter V6 will be the base engine on the 2005 Cadillac CTS whereas the current 2004 is only offered with the 3.6. The 2.8 is replacing the 3.2 that the CTS used when it was first released. Sorry about the confusion . . . or did I just cause more? :p

Kyle

·
Registered
352 Posts
Why not just a smart AWD system??
the nissan skyline has an AWD system.....the R34 has the "altessa or atessa" drivetrain.....i'm pretty sure by pullin a fuse you can go from AWD to RWD for a little drift action

i think that would be a nice platform to put a saab on

quotes below taken from www.automotivehelper.com
Altessa featues the new E-TS system allowing the torque to split.
its awd drive sytem attesa usually drives the rear wheels, and shifts up to 50% of its torque to the front wheels when necessary, it drives like a rear wheel drive car, but with a little bit of front wheel traction. with attesa, and four wheel steering, it lessens understeer, and oversteer. the systems not perfect, but it helps out a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts