Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I installed a T5 boost valve conversion from Newton Systems. I now have full boost but there is still a problem. My car has a surging inconsistent acceleration especially in the lower gears ( automatic trans ). Sometimes it is startlingly quick and other times it sort of hunts. I changed the fuel and air filters as well as the plugs. Any ideas where to look?

·
Registered
385 Posts
MAP dongle gives 4 psi BFD.
Your car needs attention But do? you fill with 92/94 octane?
If not.. Do so.. as the First diagnostic attempt.
Then after burning through, at least, one full tankful of 94.. report back

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inconsistent boost

I have been using premium 94 octane. I ran some injector cleaner through. My car runs really good. No missing,nice and smooth, decent mileage. I am starting to think that perhaps my TCS or cruise control are involved. If my car is in 3rd gear ( automatic) it will accept full throttle most of the time without this stifling feeling. In first or second, it seems to boost up and then something backs off and it struggles to accelerate. If I remove the fuse for the TCS will this tell me anything?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Isnt the boost limited in the first two gears on the automatic? maybe try undoing the conversion and see if its still doing it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Boost is limited in 1st AND 2nd in the 5 speed and D1 in the autobox
TCS can be a horror show.. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike D solved the boost mystery. It was the direct ignition cassette. The car was reducing the boost to compensate for the bad ignition. It took him about two minutes on the phone. I replaced it and now it Runs fast and smooth and 4-5 MPG improvement. Cheers to Mike

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
miked is a wizard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Larry,
This was today that I stumbled into the Newton LLC's T5 conversion kit. It sounds so much more easy than doing all the quirky conversion steps incl. reprogramming the ecu... It sounds a mystery to me though how only plugging in a gizmo makes everything work like a charm?? Without modifying the frequencies in the ECU map etc etc.
So could you please let me know if it did work the above way to you - just Plug and (let the T7 valve) Play? So does it work just as expected? I'm eager to hear your experience.
Thanks a lot

PS. I am new here and just installed the Maptun Stg.1 ECU plus made a few upgrades to my LPT T5 engine. But the reputedly crap brand new Scantech T5 APC gives weird noises and everyone tells, noise or not, it's expected to stop working soon anyway. The best price i could get on a genuine T5 APC is 253 EUR (I'm from overseas). Therefore I'm keen on going down the T7 mod route instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts