1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
890 Posts
That new Speedster looks pregnant. Porsche cranks out a special edition every other week, I think each worker at Zuffenhausen gets to put suggestions for new 997s on a hat and they draw one once a week, and make that the new 911. LOL.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
those old turbo's are on/off power..... v-cool cars though!! At one of my drivers schools I let a race prepped 930 by & as he passed me a 5ft long flame shot out the back. Made my day..... cool being on his bumpes as his front inside tire was up in the air..... then the turn went into a straight & he was gone......

There might be 20 versions of the 911 but there is still a long line of people wanting one. Even with their lazy engineers & somewhat crappy interior compared to the non VW days.

Sure wish I had the money for one.... need to bury a LOT more people then I do I guess

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
They may have a whole lot of overlapping and redundant cars but I have a feeling that will not make a difference as all will probably sell in due time. I do feel that Porsche appear to be just indiscriminately throwing out these special models like the Speedster and could in the long run hurt collectability not only for the new limited run models but also their classic counter parts.

The Speedster looks bleh to me, I never liked the original either. A 993 Turbo on the other hand will get me salivating!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
They may have a whole lot of overlapping and redundant cars but I have a feeling that will not make a difference as all will probably sell in due time. I do feel that Porsche appear to be just indiscriminately throwing out these special models like the Speedster and could in the long run hurt collectability not only for the new limited run models but also their classic counter parts.

The Speedster looks bleh to me, I never liked the original either. A 993 Turbo on the other hand will get me salivating!
the problem is that the "legendary" resale value is forever a thing of the past. they are loading up on the front-end, as it were. eventually, nobody will pay the 30% profit margins they get for a porsche currently. the moment the buyer sells his car, he will lose his shirt. that buyer will not pay retail ever again.

right now, porsche is selling cars at up to 20% off msrp! thats something that NEVER happened. you wanted a porsche, you paid list price. and got in line for the car.

a year ago, some people even managed 25% off msrp!!!

they are diluting the market for a higher volume of sales. their current management is doing a horrible job.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I test drove a 1977 turbo...not a car that I'd want to be in a turn in and have full boost kick in - they were called "widow makers" for a reason.
Some estimates say that 50% of all 76-80 911 Turbos have crashed from driver's losing control while on boost. Reviews from that time say the car is scary, even for seasoned professional racers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts