Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quattro has come a long way from being aces in the dirty bits into a weapon for spirited, neutral handling. I say this because I just drove the best audi I ever had the pleasure of driving.

I tried out an a4 sedan with the 2.0 fsi engine coupled to a 6spd manual and awd. The car lacked the sport package with its larger 18's and harder seats. Their place taken by regular 17" wheels with all season bridgestones and regular (super comfortable and supportive) seats.

I don't particularly like the looks of the current car vs the prior model. The larger dimensions look bloated and the front and rear visage is too pedestrian. Same problem afflicts the new jetta, the new a8 and a6. However, I have only praise for the spacious drivers cockpit, the very high quality interior decor, and outstanding ergonomics. The mmi interface is intuitive perfection, blessed with none of the (admittedly improved) illogical i-drive information architecture. The seats are fantastic in their simple adjustments, high quality leather, and huge range of motion. Its rare where this lanky driver gets to avoid the farthest seating position from the controls in order to comfortably fit his legs. This wealth of space helps tremendously in achieving non-clumsy ingress in small(ish) sedans.

The only gripe with the interior is really the weakish ac which is a vw/audi trademark at this point.

Driving the car was a real pleasure. The little-engine-that-could is a real torque monster. There is absolutely no lag! The thing just pulls hard at all speeds and in all gears. Auditory enjoyment was absent in this quiet car, but the engine is no crooner, so I wasn't missing anything. I love this engine. Simple as that. Its hard to complain about lackluster engine sounds when a mill produces this much enjoyment free from nvh. And the 6spd was a perfect complement, with buttery shifts, smooth clutch engagement, and proper ratio spacing. Its all a fine harmony of communication, refinement, and confidence provided by what is undoubtedly the star of the show - the chassis.

The car has achieved the magical combination of superb ride, and taut body control, whatever bmw has hidden in its chassis magic, audi has exploited and possibly improved. The a4 was unflappable as any bmw I've recently driven, and topped it off with superior grip. The car just sticks like caramel to cookie. The all season rubber was no excuse for the tuning. Also the steering was so communicative, long a numb appliance in heavy fwd chassis arrangement, it felt connected. I threw the car at high speed sweepers with no concern whatsoever. The car just attacked all pavement, all speeds, with a cool confidence. I just never felt missing out on rwd excitement. Awd has advanced tremendously in putting power down only where its needed, rather than wherever it fell by default.

Braking was probably good, but I never really paid attention to it. Ditto the stereo, the back seat, the trunk, the keyless gizmo. If I was to actually consider a near-lux car for my own use I might have noticed these things.

I have not driven an a4 in like, forever. I drove the current tt which should be similarly adept given the shared equipment. But, somewhere in the translation to sporty coupe the expectations are different. The audi tt comes off as numb when compared to similar sporty coupes. The a4, otoh, is sedan perfection.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
I was blown away by how the 2.0 responds with just ecu tuning. Peak boost comes on so early and so smooth. It's great to net 600+ miles on a tank thanks to small displacement but still have big V-6/small V-8 torque.

I love the idea of a 2.0T A5 Quattro with an APR stage 3 setup which would net more power than the S5.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a believer with that engine. The prior 2.0 was just lacking in the "magic" department. Given the favorable lease deals for the audi vs a similar 3 series, I would definitely take this a4 over even a 335. The 335 is just a sexy car and the audi is a wallflower. But if my money was at stake, the a4 wins.

What a car! I fit in it sooo perfect.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I'm a believer with that engine. The prior 2.0 was just lacking in the "magic" department. Given the favorable lease deals for the audi vs a similar 3 series, I would definitely take this a4 over even a 335. The 335 is just a sexy car and the audi is a wallflower. But if my money was at stake, the a4 wins.

What a car! I fit in it sooo perfect.
i was with you until this statement..... the n54/n55 will eat that wussy little thing alive, and kill it @ the track. you won't get 400hp with a tune and intake from that car. Now maybe id consider it over a 328, but even that is tough for me, although i don't really care for audis so that plays a roll as well.

/ibeabmwfanboi

but still....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was with you until this statement..... the n54/n55 will eat that wussy little thing alive, and kill it @ the track. you won't get 400hp with a tune and intake from that car. Now maybe id consider it over a 328, but even that is tough for me, although i don't really care for audis so that plays a roll as well.

/ibeabmwfanboi

but still....
well, yes the 335 is ate-up with engine, both in power and in sound! the proper comparo is a 328 sedan. and i would take the a4 and fit much more comfy. and save about 150 a month as well.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I drove the current tt which should be similarly adept given the shared equipment. But, somewhere in the translation to sporty coupe the expectations are different. The audi tt comes off as numb when compared to similar sporty coupes. The a4, otoh, is sedan perfection.
All TT's are transverse engines with Haldex AWD systems, so therefore they are a completely different animal underneath than an A4 (longitudinal with REAL quattro).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts