Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 9-3 2.0 Sputtering, I did maf,TB clean, new plugs & 3 coils...not fixed help!

I'm new to SC and have been digging through the forums for days trying to get my wifes car back on the road. I would majorly appreciate some help from the group. I think I'm in sputtering territory like many of you have been in but I'm running out of luck or ideas.

Car stalled out on her while she was on the highway. Had it towed to a shop and they determined that the plugs needed to be replaced (one actually had the tip burnt off) so they replaced all 4. Supposedly it didn't start when they got it and threw a code (not documented of course). They had trouble getting it going again but eventually got it running again smoothly. We drove it for a solid 3 days with no issues or sputtering. 4th day right out of the driveway engine sputters out, lots of vibration, high RPMs would keep it going, anything in the 1000-3000 range felt terrible. I've also noticed a slight whine when getting it going from a stop or in low RPMs-not sure if its the turbo or some type of electrical type whine. Seems to smooth out after driving it a bit. i ran my OBDII bluetooth to Android Torque app and came up with a few random misfire codes P0300.

So far, they did the plugs. I cleaned the MAF and MAS sensor with MAF cleaner and today I cleaned the TB best I could - still a bit unclear on the exact right way to do this but i got it decently clean with a rag and TB/Carb cleaner. - I also did the pin the gas pedal to the floor and let go to reset the butterfly position. While doing these cleanings I also rounded up 3 of the Saab/Mits labeled IC606 coils from Napa - still in search of a 4th that is not the chinese model. Also threw in some Lucas upper cylinder lubricant with injector cleaner and fuel conditioner (did like 3-4 ounces to treat the tank).

I replaced coils 1-3 if you are looking at the engine from left to right. In spark plug hole number 2 i noticed a lot of carbon build up - all others were almost spotless. see below https://www.dropbox.com/s/dczgmks9eq...204410_734.jpg

TB before https://www.dropbox.com/s/umfsx0dux5...175844_538.jpg

hose maybe worn going onto TBhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/55javaix0tdsrdt/IMG_20130727_175905_306.jpg

replaced coils https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1vy3k0z99...175852_168.jpg

After doing all of this there were a few rough starts - also disconnected battery while working just to be safe. First start I did the pedal reset - it started misfiring a bit - so I turned off then back on still a bit rough so I checked codes and got a P0304 cylinder #4 misfire, I cleared it.

I turned it over two more times then viola it works and is starting to actually sound decent - RPMs rolling around 900 or just above which has in the past been fairly typical for this musaabi. I let it run for 10 minutes then I shut the hood feeling somewhat accomplished and all of a sudden bad misfiring - no CEL though. I turn it off then back on - give it some gas it evens out a bit and seems fine. I took it for a short drive and it went fairly well for about 4-5 minutes then all of a sudden during low RPM's 2000ish I get major sputtering or shuddering - keep the RPMS jamming and it seems ok and I get it back to the house. WTF do I do now. I'm running out of ideas. I'm no mechanic but can take things apart and get it back together and take good direction from here. Getting expensive and i don't want to take it in to get screwed even more.

My only thoughts are to search out a 4th coil and get that in there or maybe do some swapping around tomorrow into that 4th coil spot. I'm hoping the shop would have done the plugs right - they have been decent in the past (sullivan tire - NH guys might know). I bought a single backup plug in case I need to do a swap. I'm a bit concerned that the 2nd spark plug hole was all carbon'd up. I've seen guys mention check the vaccum hoses - kind of out of my comfort zone unless someone has some suggestions on where to look or what to check for.

Update from a few minutes ago: I swapped the old coil from #1 to the #4 spot and all seemed well for about 10 minutes - took it for a spin around the block and picked up the studder again at 2-3k rpms in 2nd gear. I was able to rev out of it but problem still exists. my only thought is the carbon's up 2nd spark plug hole or a the possible whine coming from my engine (vaccum leak maybe?

Just a few more background notes: Car has about 137K on it. Replaced CPS about 6-8 months ago when car was having trouble staying running and has to wait between turning it over - this issue is resolved.

During my inspection 3 months ago apparently a mouse made his way into the air box and caused some havoc making an acorn nest and ****ting. Cleared all at that out and new air filter installed at this time. New brakes and tires all around this time as well.

Car has a few oil leaks. According to my shop it has $1700 worth of leaks. Not sure any of them are related to my issue short of the spark plug seals which I had forgot they mentioned. See below note from them.

SUGGEST DOING THE VALVE COVER GASKET WITH SPARK PLUG SEALS AND THE TIMING COVER GASKET AND CRANK SEAL, THESE ARE THE
MOST OBVIOUS LEAKS WE CAN SEE. AND THEN RECHECK FOR ANY OTHER OIL LEAKS FROM MOTOR. SUGGEST MOTOR SHOULD BE
CLEANED
SUGGEST POWER STEERING RACK DUE TO FLUID LEAK ON RIGHT SIDE OF RACK ( SEAL AT INNER TIEROD AND RACK), WILL REQUIRE
ALIGNMENT WHEN DONE AND SUGGEST POWER STEERING FLUID FLUSH WHEN DONE.

Help

1 - 1 of 1 Posts