Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, Automatic, RHD (United States)

I recently changed my coolant bypass valve due to an antifreeze leak. Putting the car back together I noticed the Break Vacuum Pipe was damaged, so I replaced that. Now, with that in place, I've noticed yet another hose that's been disconnected. Can someone please take a look at these pictures and help? I did notice a bare "nipple" on the break fluid reservoir. Could that be the hose? -- thank you!

Seems the last two pictures need to be rotated counter-clock-wise. The middle one is the other end of the detached hose. It's down towards the bottom of the engine area. The last is of the BFR (Break Fluid..) and its exposed nipple.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Welcome.

The nipple on the brake fluid reservoir would to to the clutch master cylinder of you had a car with a manual transmission - it's just blocked off on the automatics and nothing should go to it.

Does that loose hose go into the top of the transmission case? If it does it's the transmission vent, and it should be left loose up on top of the trans not connected to anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You rock!

Welcome.

The nipple on the brake fluid reservoir would to to the clutch master cylinder of you had a car with a manual transmission - it's just blocked off on the automatics and nothing should go to it.

Does that loose hose go into the top of the transmission case? If it does it's the transmission vent, and it should be left loose up on top of the trans not connected to anything.
Drew,
You're dead on accurate. I went back out and checked the nipple, it was sealed, so obviously not it. The hose does indeed go to the transmission. I started the car, and it seems to run fine. I'll go back out later and see if it's still leaking antifreeze, but on inspection with a flashlight, I didn't see anything.. keeping fingers crossed as this is my FIRST repair job. Is/was that hose tied down anywhere?

Thank you so much!

Scott

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Nice! I think it was zip tied to one of the harnesses or something from the factory, but as long as it's tucked out of the way somewhere it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final Update

Nice! I think it was zip tied to one of the harnesses or something from the factory, but as long as it's tucked out of the way somewhere it doesn't matter.
To put this thread to rest. I swapped out some of the vacuum lines with 4mm silicone replacement lines and gave the engine a good cleaning thanks to Trionic Seven's guides, then took the car for a drive and I'm happy to say, more power and no coolant smell. I think my repairs actually made a difference. Next challenge will be to "defog" the head lamps.

Thank you again Drew. I owe you one.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.