Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
That is a TON of miles.

You don't buy a car like that if you can't afford to fix it, little more expensive to maintain than one of those Z cars....

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
That is a TON of miles.

You don't buy a car like that if you can't afford to fix it, little more expensive to maintain than one of those Z cars....
Sad when 56k is a lot of miles :rolleyes: Especially for that much money, new.

Could just be me....but porsche just sucks to look at now. Nothing exciting, nothing new, nothing in-your-face. I'm at a "oh look....another porsche" level with them, and the 73 models of an old platform 911 they are now selling.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Nice looking super car, but for that money, I'm buying something new or cpo from Audi, Bmw, Lexus, etc. Not practical for most unless they are rich or skilled mechanics living in warm weather areas. I can only dream about ever reaching the kind of income to afford one of these cars as a toy.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miles are high but I sold my 911 with 60k miles for $29k so its a bargain in my mind.

Any aftermarket warranty for 2-3k would apply to this car no problem. A 911 with such miles is a car that got plenty of use and will thus be very solid reliabilitywise.

The running costs realistically are about 2k a year, half of that spent on the massive tire and alignment appetite. My 911 was a great reliable car, because it got a lot of use as a dd ;)

I just spent $18k on ac for a project today. My money is very tied up, thankfully! Otherwise id be in ohio, even with that ugly grey interior.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I wouldn't worry about reliability, these are one of the most reliable cars out there in that segment. Porsche has had enough time to perfect the recipe of these cars to the point where you really only have the regular maintainence stuff to deal with.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
This 911 is never dropping below 20k in value, so its a solid depreciation car if you keep it for 5+ years and 50k miles.

Must stop rationalizing...
You're slowly talking yourself into it!

As far as depreciation goes though....20k is nearly 14-15k less than the asking price......that's potentially 14k in depreciation or lost value over time. That's nearly half of what it would cost to buy and register the car. If depreciation is prime concern for someone considering a porsche, the older the better. I'm taking that money and buying a MINT, classic, 1980's 911 turbo. That car won't lose anything in value.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You're slowly talking yourself into it!

As far as depreciation goes though....20k is nearly 14-15k less than the asking price......that's potentially 14k in depreciation or lost value over time. That's nearly half of what it would cost to buy and register the car. If depreciation is prime concern for someone considering a porsche, the older the better. I'm taking that money and buying a MINT, classic, 1980's 911 turbo. That car won't lose anything in value.
Love those older 911's -but you better be careful, it can bite you in the rear if you're overly enthusiastic. The 997 is a much more mellow driver.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
friend just sold his 89 911 for $28K, $4K more then he paid for it about 5 years ago

Most state Porsche's are very reliable, it's just the wearable items that can get pricey. Like mentioned above there is a lot of rubber on those wheels & it's not cheap to replace them. Also brake stuff isn't cheap & don't they use 2x's the oil our saab use?

I would love one even with those miles, I have seen them with a lot more miles then that & they are still out tearing up the road coarse.

To me much better then anything that comes from Japan...... & I would take a used Porsche over a BMW/Audi/etc

But my problem is, I think I want something from England

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
England? Surely that could only mean an Elise, which I've seen 2004-2005 models in the 25-30K range.

The 911 value discrepencies are crazy. All air-cooled versions holding great value, then jump to the 996, and they are selling in the teens

Now 997's in the low 30's? Very tempting. Judging by the price, people view the average 911 (not a classic air-cooled, not turbo) as a commodity.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I need to get in touch with a friend from school who was building a 1976 911 RS Clone and also had another 911 of the same vintage as a daily driver build... he was also a VW dork (had a nice MK2 GTI all done up for DD/Auto-X use) He spent some time out in Cali working for Audi and spent a lot of time doing circuit racing and got very good quick and moved back to PA and is now working on/restoring older Porsche's I think in Conche. somewhere. He was from the lancaster area.

Oh - my point - older 911's are so much more awesome, but I'd never turn down a modern Porsche @ a bargin price (if I was able to afford that)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
EBAY

$26,500 (EBAY buy it now). Ephrata. 2005. Not orange. Still sickkk
History is a bit shady:

03/12/2008 UPPER DARBY, PA Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
06/02/2009 VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 14,417 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
REPOSSESSED

06/08/2009 PA 14,417 Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE
06/09/2009 PA 14,417 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION
06/24/2009 EPHRATA, PA Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:61876251)
07/15/2009 LEBANON, PA 14,419 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:61876251)(Lien Reported)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts