Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 9-3 Linear Automatic. (Wife's car)

Starter not working properly, car was getting power and you could here the starter try to engage with a solid metal "thunk" and then retract again with a thunk. No whir as if the starter was spinning.

Changed out a new starter thinking this was the problem... Same thing. If I remove relay 50 I can jump the relay and use a lead to close the negative and the car starts.

No codes showing...... Any ideas???? I need to get it to a shop tomorrow that has a TECH II but I just wanted to seeif anyone has run into a similar problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No codes showing...... Any ideas???? I need to get it to a shop tomorrow that has a TECH II but I just wanted to seeif anyone has run into a similar problem.
Any update on what you found? My wife's 2004 Linear is doing the same thing. No codes, just won't even turn over, starter just clinks loudly.

About 1 month ago her fan wasn't working right, then within 24 hours the car wouldn't start, just a loud click coming from the starter as if it was being disengaged or locked. Due to the fan issue having presented itself first, I read that the resistor might be the issue. It wasn't, but in the process of messing with that I found the small motor that controls the air (outside air vs cabin air recirc) was causing it. If I unplugged the little motor the car would start. So I just left it unplugged. Now 1 month later, car won't start again, and I have tried unplugging the other similar motors, the cabin fan, resistor, etc, and even gone through each fuse and relay and can't get it to throw a code, or start.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Follow up on mine, one cell on the car battery apparently started to go, so the voltage had been dropping slightly over the past month, plently of amps, just not enough volts, and finally got low enough to where the starter wouldn't engage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts