Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is the original owner of aforementioned wrx wagon. This car went through the typical drag racing early in its life (13.4 in the 1320 so just basic bolt ons) and he's always been religious about maintenance. He. Plans on being burried in it.

He took it to his mechanic for erratic noises that sounded like engine failure.
They diagnosed belt. Then the problem returned and mechanic diagnosed tensioner and fixed it. Since then, its been ps failure, compressor failure, and he's already given the reputed mechanic over $2k in repairs. He's asking me if he's getting duped given the problems that have risen everytime he takes the car outta the mechanics place. The mechanic is claiming no fault of his.

I tell him that all are related to the belt/chain getting changed. But how much abuse canthe guy take given the problems that surfaced after belt replacement?

What should he do?

Tia

·
7,595 Posts
A Subaru with 88K? he should probably not be surprised by the occasional $2000 repair bill, but simply expect it. They are not Swedish quality. If he wants a problem free Subaru he should buy one under warranty :lol:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I told him old cars drop parts in bunches especially when they're all related to the belt. But how much abuse can he take from the dealer for "related" repairs vs "I brought it in with a belt issue" and its been several problems since they touched it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has been a soldier up until this situation. Og clutch, tranny no prob, really nothing wrong with it until it set foot in the reputable dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd start with the basics. Do a compression test to see if the engine is within specs. It's a simple test to check your internals. Then go get a Hayes manual and double check the belt and tensioner yourself. I could not afford to pay someone to work on my stuff so I bought the manual and dug in. As for the mechanic consider it lesson learned. Good luck. -kyle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts