Saab Link Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To be considered on the market as soon as the dealer gets my new car in.....my 2002 9-3 SE. :cry:

Make: 2002 Saab 9-3 SE
Trans: 5 speed manual
Miles: 156,000
Owners: 1 (me, purchased new March 2002)
Color: Metallic Silver

Tasteful Mods:
ECU: Nordic Stage 3 software
FPR: Bosch 3.5 bar
Intake: Genuine Saab open air filter
Downpipe: Genuine Saab v1 3" downpipe with race catalyst
Exhaust: Saab Sport Exhaust with Carbon/SS circular tip
Trans: Genuine Saab polyurethane trans mount
Clutch: Viggen Clutch and Pressure Plate, installed @ 100,000 miles
Eng. Mount: Genuine Saab diesel rear engine mount
Suspension: Eibach Pro-Kit (springs & matched dampers)
Rear Roll Bar: SAS rear roll bar
Bracing: Genuine Saab steering rack clamp and brace
Bushings: Inner and outer lower control arm polyurethane bushings
Brake Discs: Slotted Genuine Saab Brembos, front and rear
Brake Pads: Hawk HPS, front and rear
Wheels: Stock 16" anniversary edition
Tires: Continental ExtremeContact DWS, installed March 2010
Tint: 30% tint installed

Maintenance:
I am not a shadetree mechanic, and therefore the vast majority of more complex service on this car occurs with a professional, either at the dealer or at Road Tested Saabs here in Indy. I personally do brakes, oil changes, and wheel rotations and that's it.
Oil: I change the oil myself every 5K miles with Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Filters: Use only OEM filters
PCV Fix #6: Installed (Never any sludge issues on this car)
125,000 Mile service completed including accessory belt replacement

Older Maintenance:
Radiator Coolant Lines: These were replaced 1 or 2 years ago due to a ruptured line in one of them.
DIC: This was replaced several years ago under the recall campaign.
SID: The SID display was replaced under warranty around 50K miles. Fully functional still, all pixels visible.
MAF sensor: This was replaced somewhere between 50K and 100K miles. Original failed.
CPS: This was replaced around 100K-ish? Original failed.
Throttle Body: Cleaned at the 125K service interval.
Master Brake Cylinder: Replaced after a track day. It probably didn't need to be, as after this was replaced, we determined the real problem to be glazed pads causing poor stopping power.

Recent Maintenance:
AC: AC Compressor replaced summer 2010 ($1200)
Trans: Transmission shifter seal and drive seal restored, due to slow leak, fall 2010 ($500)
Tires: New in March 2010, as described above ($600)
Thermostat: Replaced 2009
Exhaust Flex Pipe: Replaced due to leak, fall 2010 ($400 ish)

The Bad:
*Small rust spots on both rear wheel arches. This was professionally fixed once several years ago to the tune of $1200 at the dealer, and has since come back. It is very minor and will provide detailed pictures at your request.
*There is a groan coming from the right front when I turn left at slow speeds. I am not a mechanic so I do not know what it is. I suspect either CV joint or maybe suspension mount?

Warranty: No warranty

Price: $4500

I have loved the hell out of this car. I am the original owner. I'm an engineer who appreciates keeping things in smooth running order, but I'm also practical and realize I can now afford something newer that needs less maintenance than this does. And so, it must go and I would love to see it go to an enthusiast.

You should act soon if you are interested. I may trade at the dealer within 2 weeks if not sold, and that would be a shame.

If you want a reference on me, I believe NahumCC and GM will vouch for me as a class individual who will not waste your time if you are interested in my car!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I have a stack of documentation on the service in the glove box on basically all the service.

This is where the rust is. It's coming out of the seam.

It has worsened since this picture, so I took the trim off last winter and used a dremel to remove as much as I could, then primed it and touched it up with Saab accessory paint.

This is an old picture of it, I can post a updated pic of it if anyone wants what it looks like, today.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Considering the modifications and noted maintenance, that's a great price for your car. Rust in the area you detailed is not only common, but pretty easy to fix, especially if it's only below the trim piece. I have no idea how it could have cost $1200 to have it repaired earlier, but that could be permanently fixed by a skilled body man for under $500.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, for one thing I had the body work done at the dealer. So there you go, on the price. But it also had these spots fixed (both sides):

My car had tiny rust spots form under the clear protectant film that goes on the front of the rear wheel well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't really have the time or ability to easily strip all the performance parts off.

That's why it's either going to be traded or sold and I'd much rather sell it to someone here!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a shot from a HPDE at Putnam Park, Indianapolis. This was with 17" double 3 spokes that I had for a while, before I sold them to NahumCC:

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
that looks damn good. i tried to sell mine for more money than this one and it's stock. albiet no rust/lower miles, but still, i think this car is a good deal. other than a viggen, these '02 se's are the nicest version of this platform.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump. I added further description detailing a few significant historical/older maintenance items....CPS, DIC, MAF sensor, radiator coolant lines, etc.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2010 9-3X, 2.0T, 6 speed manual.....assuming it ever gets to my dealer. They're shipping from Vermont to Indiana. The winter storm 2 weeks back really screwed things up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bump: SOLD

Thanks for all the comments. Taking delivery of the 9-3X certainly helped tempered the loss of this good old machine. I will miss it though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.