Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a 2002 9-3 SE with barely 120,000 miles on it. Less for sure. She uses her OEM CD player on a regular basis and now is having problems where it seems to "overheat" and stops playing for a few minutes untill it cools off - then it will play CD's again fine. It is a dash CD player, not a trunk changer FYI.

Has anyone had problems before like this? I was going to try cleaning it really well - perhaps dust has built up in the cage vents and it is overheating due to this.

Otherwise I know a local radio shop who rebuilds these units I was going to get a price to see how much it would cost.

I'd rather not install an aftermarket radio being as the OEM units are more then good enough for mom and they are easy to use.

Anyone got tips/suggestions?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GTK ^ ;) lol Yes - they usually get HOT when being played a long time - this is fairly common, but the player itself getting so hot it stops operating is a new one to me as well. It doesn't sound like it skips either - just stops playing for a bit.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
What type of CDs is she listening to?

Commercially produced "silver" CDs or Burned CDs?

Does it occur more often with one or the other? Just another thing to look at to try to narrow down the issue.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I've had CDs come out of the player very warm, but never cease playing.
same here, i usually have to let the cd cool for a couple seconds before i touch it, and then the damn thing sucks it back in etc. but its never stopped playing.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of CDs is she listening to?

Commercially produced "silver" CDs or Burned CDs?

Does it occur more often with one or the other? Just another thing to look at to try to narrow down the issue.
I was wondering this myself and will have to ask her - but I believe she plays store bought CD's 90% of the time if not more. She does not know how to burn copies....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.