Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have been running the 230hp Flex Fuel Bio Tune in our 9-5 from EPL performance for a few months. Recently I was made aware I am supposed to be running the T5 Turbo NKG's in it with said tune. Well - up until recently it was running on the OEM plugs (BCPR6ES) with no problems. It has recently been starting up "cold" and stalling out - restart and it stumbles and will rev up to clear up the funny burble. There is NO CEL as result of this - so I ordered a set of NGK's for a T5 Aero 9000 - BCPR7ES and it seemed like it was better - but was back to the same old game 2 days later. It seems to be more effected by the hotter outside air temp on the "cold start" as opposed to the cooler weather - not sure if this is just coincidence or what. My question to all you ECU project goers and anyone else - what plug should I use?
I have a set of the PFR7H10 on order to try - but I am just at a loss as to what could be causing this problem aside from spark plugs.
Gap is correct - no need to go there.
Anyone think a failing Throttle body could be the fault? Again - no CEL

I have to change the 25K old water pump as that is leaking already....

Engine was replaced @ 78K by previous owner under GOODWILL from Saab - 8K later they blew the head gasket when they ignored the leaking heater by pass valve.
Car now has 102,xxx miles on it since I replaced the HG @ 86K

I replaced the HG and have since re-torque the head (I believe it's warped still - but hard to say with a leaking water pump) Plugs I pulled out were just sooted (normal looking) aside the one which pulled a thread of cylinder 2 plug out with it... - new one threaded right in.... I have 2 spare T7 heads lying around I plan to get rebuilt - but after SOC I hope.

Car is going to SOC one way or another lol - it's our newest car and seems to be craving the most attention lately

Getting new front brakes soon
Needs BSR exhaust installed
Needs Koni Rear Shocks Installed
The list continues.......

·
Super Moderator
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well - 90% of the time we run Sunoco 89 OCT - today since it was down to 1/4 I poured a bottle of LUCAS fuel system cleaner in it and filled it with some SUNOCO 93 OCT. - I am going to see if this and those T5 plugs work out a little better. I was starting to think poor fuel quality myself - but this will be my test. I do need to change the fuel filter too - I have one, just haven't had the urge to lay on the rocks out back in the heat and get gas on my arm and hands.....

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I replaced the HG and have since re-torque the head (I believe it's warped still - but hard to say with a leaking water pump) Plugs I pulled out were just sooted (normal looking) aside the one which pulled a thread of cylinder 2 plug out with it... - new one threaded right in.... I have 2 spare T7 heads lying around I plan to get rebuilt - but after SOC I hope.

The list continues.......
Hi Jeff, I have a T7 head new vavle job 5 k ago if you want it i will trade for a R head if one of yours is one, mine is not) or sell for 1/2 the cost of a valve job with parts...

ALos have a set of the PFR plugs if you want them new ( cheaper)

·
Super Moderator
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jeff, I have a T7 head new vavle job 5 k ago if you want it i will trade for a R head if one of yours is one, mine is not) or sell for 1/2 the cost of a valve job with parts...

ALos have a set of the PFR plugs if you want them new ( cheaper)
I believe both of mine are from E motors - not R's as they were both taken from Sludge cars or similar (heads were fine - just a little dirty in the VC area) One was a 9-5, other was a 9-3 (I believe both heads are the same)

Talk money/trade for head - what are we talking? I can get a cylinder head cleaned, checked - rebuilt for $150 plus parts. "Locally"

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I believe both of mine are from E motors - not R's as they were both taken from Sludge cars or similar (heads were fine - just a little dirty in the VC area) One was a 9-5, other was a 9-3 (I believe both heads are the same)

Talk money/trade for head - what are we talking? I can get a cylinder head cleaned, checked - rebuilt for $150 plus parts. "Locally"
$100?? Its has new seals, a regrind, one new valve ( it was nicked)... oh and T5 cams ( but you can have the T7 ones for it.) If you want the cams another 50 say< i think they sell for 50... and I can meet you with it but I dont know where you are anymore???

·
Super Moderator
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lansdale PA - I just moved a little south east from where I was in Telford. Nicer house and town - still shitty neighbors :) Next house will not have neighbors directly next to me.

$100 sounds fair - does that include the "core" trade as well? I don't need the T5 cams - as I can get them myself for less if I ever want to add them to the car.

Back to the topic - car started this morning with LESS of a stumble and did not stall - still not right, but better.

·
Super Moderator
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back to the issue - I have NOT swapped plugs out yet. I have all 3 sorts on hand. Car still acts up on "initial" start of the day. Fires over - stumbles stalls instantly. Restart and it stumbles and runs with a burble/miss (like too much fuel) and clears up with a little throttle. Then it runs and drives fine all day. Restarts like nothing is wrong all day. Let it sit over night and the next day - same thing all over again.

Should I replace the FPR? I have one from a 2003 9-5 Aero laying around which was good. To me this is either a Fuel or Spark problem it seems...

Anyone? I replaced the Water pump, changed the oil and the trans fluid - all ready for SOC aside the starting issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.