Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 saab 9-3 5speed (if that matters) wont start, and as I'm sure most of you would assume, its getting a little irritating.

It will start with starting fluid, but not on its own (obviously a fuel issue)
When sticking a screwdriver into the DIC, it has spark
It is getting plenty of pressure to the fuel rail, and at the FPR
when cranking the rpm's do move so it shouldnt be th CPS

any ideas of what it could be?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Could still be a CPS sending a bad reading. I was thinking fuel pump but you said there Is fuel pressure.... Maybe a MAF or vacuum issue? Mine started like crap when I had a
Major air leak and the maF was freaking out.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
what is "plenty" of fuel mean - what's the PSI or BAR numbers @ KOEO vs. Cranking PSI or BAR You could still have insufficient fuel pressure.

Again - could also be a bad CPS sensor.... Is the MAF plugged in?

FYI - do NOT stick a screw driver into the DIC.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
plenty of fuel means, when I opened the valve on the rail, it sprays about 20 feet, and when I took off the FPR without relieving the pressure (horrible idea BTW) it sprayed gas hard enough straight into my eye to blind me for hours....lol

as for the screw driver in the DIC, "desperate times call for desperate measures". A saying that I have been forced to abide by, having owned only mitsubishi's until now...lol

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Check/Clean the grounds - ALL of them. Any wires which have corroded/turned green - cut back as far as you can till you find good wire and repair them with new quality wire with good heat strink but connectors. Ensure the ECU grounds are intact.

Battery Cables clean - Battery tests good?

Have you inspected for blown fuses?

I assume the vehicle is cranking and not starting? Or is it doing nothing?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Check with a multimeter that the injectors are pulsing during cranking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Th battery tests good, it cranks, just wont start. Is there a way to test my MAF? What about testing The FPR?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
If you have fuel pressure - and the car won't start - it's not going to be the FPR more than likely - those usually show up as a lack of power.

The MAF could cause a rough idle or a harsh start - you can measure the ohms of the MAF - but I can't remember the last time I found one which prevented the car from starting unless it was unplugged....

If you are having problems with the intake system the Mass Air Flow meter may need to be cleaned. The mass air flow sensor provides the engine control module with continuous information on the amount of air consumed by the engine. The mass air flow sensor signals are processed by the control module, which monitors the air-fuel mixture of the incoming air. Since air is continuously flowing through the MAF dust and dirt will build up over time causing various sensor and intake problems. To clean the MAF, remove it from the engine, and using electrical cleaner and compressed air clean gently until the metal is showing. Check the rubber below the MAF as it may need to be cleaned as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill test the fuel injectors, and If they test ok with the noid lights or a multimeter, then does that mean I have clogged injectors??

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
no - means the ECU isn't telling them to fire... meaning there is either a sensor problem or a ECU problem.

Have you inspected the Throttle body or pulled any codes from the car? You may have a CEL on which would tell you where to look.... Pull codes first, then pop the intake pipe off the TB and operate the cable - does the throttle plate open with the "pedal depressed" or not?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so i didnt get a code reader, but i Did check the grounds on the Intake manifold. they were fine, but I cleaned the ends anyway. any other input?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Replaced the CPS tonight, and it fired right up! first time in a month!! But it idled like poop, and as soon as I opened the door, it shut off, and wouldnt start again. ideas??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so I started it again this evening. It ran on its own for about ten minutes, and I shut it off, then It wouldnt start again, so I started it on a shot of starting fluid. again it ran on its own. This time I kept it running. It seemed smooth from 1000-3000rpms, but anything past that it just sputtered, and popped. Also It wouldnt go past 4000rpms. Someone please help me!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts