Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking into purchasing this v6 2.5 Saab but the timing chain jumped timing. Just wondering if this is common with the 2.5 and if anybody had this happen to them. thanks

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Run, don't walk, away from this car.

The timing belt tensioner fails, breaks or dislodges the belt, which throws off the valve timing and slams the pistons into the valves, bending valves and/or damaging the pistons.

This is a common problem with the V6 engines, so much so, that Saab was forced to offer owners free timing belt and tensioner changes every 30,000 miles up to 90K. The V6 debacle was one of the factors that killed Saab sales during the 90s.

You'll be MUCH happier with a turbo. If you change the oil frequently, the turbo should last about as long as the engine...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Yeah - I'd hafta agree with the running away part unless you kow as soon as it jumped it was shut down and no damage was done.... if the car runs fine after re-adjustment and new parts then it would be a good car to have - but every 60,000 you better have a new timing chain, tensioners and everything else that touches it replaced religiously....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
DeLorean said:
BurnsSide42 said:
but every 60,000 you better have a new timing chain, tensioners and everything else that touches it replaced religiously....
the 2.5 / 3.0 runs a belt there cheif.
My bad - slip of the finger... if it had a chain this prolly wouldn't be as big of an issue....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Depends how much they want.

900's with blown 2.5's run about 2 to 5 hundred bucks on ebay, pay no more like that if the motor is destroyed.

If the motor runs fine however, take a long hard look.

If he says "just needs a $20 timing belt" and wants you to write him a check for three grand tell him to go fuck himself...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Smaart Aas Saabr said:
looky there, TSL has no profanity filtre.
Thank you TSL!
But where the heck is edit button? :shock:
LOL - yes - cause we are a Mature audience and we think that you can hendle adult language here :p - and for the edit button - it's next to the "quote" button :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stevehayes01 said:
Stay away from the V6......no power in that motor!!!! (JOKE) :lol: You would get more power and fun from a 2.0 or 2.3 Turbo Viggen!!! :D Those N/A motors are just not the same as the turbo motor!! :twisted: :twisted:
I agree the turbo motor is stronger and and faster. But not looking for that. I drive a 11 sec Eagle Talon so there still would be no comparision with the 2.0 turbo version. Plus if I buy the turbo 900 I'll just rip out the motor and build it. So I figured if I get the 2.5 v6 I can just be happy with that. Looking for a Saab 4 door because my Talon is not to baby friendly. I have a 8 month old boy. I'm a cert. mechanic and also have a machine shop in at my garage so there will be no labor charges just the cost of parts at the shops cost. That way I was thinking about picking the car up.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Drew,

You're probably more qualified than anyone here to take on this project, if you can get it for a song, and knowing about the potential problems of the engine down the road. The 2.5 V6's problems are legendary and have probably helped more than anything else to kill the brand's reputation. Of course, second-hand buyers benefit from the lowered resale value 8)

These high-interference engines don't tolerate much timing deviation, and unless you're ready for a teardown, there's no way to accurately assess the damage. I know two Saab indies in South Florida who required a $3,000 deposit before starting work on any fried V6 with valve trouble. They knew that in most cases in was quicker, and ultimately cheaper for the customer, to replace those engines than to tear them down looking for all the things that can go wrong.

If you've got the time, the space, and the cheap initial investment, this might work....Otherwise...the turbos are more reliable, just as safe, and more fun. I've got four kids, ages 11 to 14 weeks, and I've driven Saabs for 15 years just for those reasons!!!

good luck whatever you decide....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting the car for 1000 clean as hell! Mint leather interior and the exterior is flawless as well. I'll just rip the motor out and go from there. Just going to rebuild the motor. No sense on takin git out and just fixing the problem.I'll inspect the internals (pistons, pistons walls, etc and install new ring, bearing and timing components. I'll keep you guys posted and post pics of the car once I get it.
My mother got a new Saab back in 89' 900s I loved the car she ended up running it till the rod went through the block at 320k. The car was strong I beat the hell out of it. The only thing I replace on hers was the water pump and the front motor mount due to my driving. Car was great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts