Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I thought I had this problem solved on a 1992 2.1l Automatic 900... it's the car my mom is driving now. It stalled on her two weeks ago, and the last time, it wouldn't restart, but the problem seemed to be a bad battery connection, becuase the engine wouldn't even turn over. I cleaned and tightened all of the cables, and finally get it back on the road, and today, the first day she drove it again, stalled and wouldn't restart. This time, the engine cranks, but no fuel or spark.

I think I've got it narrowed to the crank position sensor. It'll run for a bit, but then quits and has to cool before it'll start again. Probing the EZK module, I can see the pulses from the position sensor when it works (i.e when the engine will run), but when it won't fire, I don't see any pulses, just a steady voltage.

To rule out a bad EZK module, does anyone know if a resistance check can be performed on this type of crank sensor? The Bently manual does not list that type of check.

And if it really is the crank sensor... do these not fail that often on the 2.1l????? I can't believe the price!! EEuroParts want's about $230 or something for a Genuine Saab one, or $99 for one that I have to splice in. Even Autozone wants almost $200 for the stupid thing. At those prices, if it's not a common failure item, I might just find a used one!
Don.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
do you have access to a noid light if you do run the car until it stalhs and then hook up a noid light to a injector wire anyone will do and see if it is pulsing, but from what you have described it does sound like a ckp and yes they do go faulty from time to time not uncommon

·
9,034 Posts
the CPS's on pretty much all saabs are not very reliable as far as CPS’s go... the C-900's CPS's generally don't just quit unless someone was messing around near the connector wiring at the back of the engine, but then it's not unheard of for one to start not working intermittently either.

I have no idea why they are so expensive, but man are those a bitch to change on C-900's. Personally, if I were replacing one of those, I would not be using a used one.

I am not personally aware of the resistance reading you should be getting from a properly working CPS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually did the test with the NOID light already, and there was no pulse. I'm pretty confident that is the problem, so I'll go ahead with replacing it. I'm not looking forward to trying to get it apart though. Hopefully there is enough room back there to pull the crank pulley off... I think that is the only way to get the sensor out from behind it, right?
Don.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it's all done, and working great again. It is a bit of a pain trying to get that pulley bolt off. I had to go buy a 27mm open/box end wrench to make it work. That and a 3' PVC tube as a cheater bar worked great!

Don.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,030 Posts
I replaced the CPS on my 2.1 sedan last year with one of Bill at Saabits kits - worked great.. A month ago I had really bad cutting out problems while driving to work (mid afternoon- not a hot day). I drove home with zero issues. I've had people say the CPS is bad, so I'm trying to get some more 4av19f's so I have some spares around. My 9000 uses the same CPS (on it's 2.0 motor).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts