Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, not sure if anyone's noticed but im thinking of selling the 9-3 and am was really looking into a viggen, but for the age/miles/price it's just hard for me, Im almost sure I could get a 2005 9-2x aero(Brilliant Red) with 25,000miles for around 13,500ish and then I could get it Saab certified which is a 6yr/100,000mile bumper to bumper warranty.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons and just wanted some input from you guys. I know the 9-2x isnt a real Saab. But I’d still have room being a 4-door wagon, good gas milage, fun to drive, and when warranty runs up subi mods are cheaper.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
From a money standpoint it makes sense.

And that is a hell of a warranty. Are you sure you can wait that long to mod it? :)

Subies have a HUGE aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From a money standpoint it makes sense.

And that is a hell of a warranty. Are you sure you can wait that long to mod it? :)

Subies have a HUGE aftermarket.
haha my thoughts exactly. but then am i going to be shund by the saab/subi crowd sense its not a true saab/subi? like say i went to next years SOC would i get funny looks?

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
The only thing I dont agree with is your reference to good gas mileage. If you look at the figures, the Aero gets decent mileage but it wont be any better than what you have now, maybe a tad worse.

Also if you can somehow swing a 2006 you get the 2.5L over the 2.0. They are really working hard to move the 06's right now and taking 4-7k off which is making them about the same price as used 05's.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I dont agree with is your reference to good gas mileage. If you look at the figures, the Aero gets decent mileage but it wont be any better than what you have now, maybe a tad worse.

Also if you can somehow swing a 2006 you get the 2.5L over the 2.0. They are really working hard to move the 06's right now and taking 4-7k off which is making them about the same price as used 05's.
what ive read says 20 mpg city / 26 mpg highway which is a little worse then my 9-3 but its not like going to 15 in the city, i ment i would still be getting good gas mileage.

and the new ones go for 27,00ish so still say 6grand off thats 21 and $8,000 more then the 05.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
what ive read says 20 mpg city / 26 mpg highway which is a little worse then my 9-3 but its not like going to 15 in the city, i ment i would still be getting good gas mileage.

and the new ones go for 27,00ish so still say 6grand off thats 21 and $8,000 more then the 05.
My dealer is selling loaded 26k stickered NON Aeroes for 17.800k even, thats what they have written on them, so maybe a few hundred less out the door. I bet next year you can find an Aero left over for 16-18k.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I would totally go for the aero, you'l prolly get some saab fanboys(not you jamie lol) telling you otherwise, but the WRX platform is amazing

the handling will be awesome, even better with handling mods.

plus, the subie aftermarket is all that gay jap stuff like Cusco and JIC magic-there are LOTS of european, american, and austrailian performance companies. Its like that because every area of the world (most had the wrx long before us) has embraced the car and learned of its prowess.

Whiteline(aussie)
Cobb(US)
Perrin(US)
GFB(Aussie)
Prodrive(UK)

It'd be a shame to see some japanese company name all over the parts, if you stick with these companie, it'll help with the overall theme

you'l have to get use to lack of HW power, BUT that will be made up by the insane first three gears. Its just a diff style, NOT BAD though. Dont let anyone tell you that HW power is king.

The warranty is amazing, Saabs are so frigin expensive to repair. I have the CPO on my car and I've prolly expended $5,000 of thier time. About 10,000 of mine. So deff take the warranty into consideration.

I personaly really like the saabaru, if anyone give you any looks at SOC kindly invite them to the local gravel/tarmac/mud course and watch them cry when thier precious viggen gets scratched. This car is made for different things then other saabs. if fanboys cant accept it, then thats thier prob.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I would leave stock WRX's in the dust when my automagic 9-3 had no mods at all :lol:
but if you tune it up maybe it could be quick ;)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I wont BS Im not a huge Subie fan...that being said, I like the 9-2x...with the "rebadging" they have taken away alot of what I dont like about Subaru's, including much of the "cheapness" which I often felt in the interiors.

I think its a legitimate consideration when looking for a new car; granted you wont be staying with Saab as you would with say a Vig, in your shoes its probably a logical choice. Id go for it.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Okay the ig differences are things like $200 dollars for an ECU tune vs. 800+ for a Viggen T7 ECU swap. And for the $200 you actually get the software to use on your computer to tune the car to your exact needs.
The overall tuning ability and costs of the 9-2x make it a wiser choice if you look at it strictly from a numbers standpoint. IT does not have the Cool factor of a Viggen but still... worth while investment.

·
User
9,193 Posts
Okay the ig differences are things like $200 dollars for an ECU tune vs. 800+ for a Viggen T7 ECU swap. And for the $200 you actually get the software to use on your computer to tune the car to your exact needs.
The overall tuning ability and costs of the 9-2x make it a wiser choice if you look at it strictly from a numbers standpoint. IT does not have the Cool factor of a Viggen but still... worth while investment.
Yeah, but you probably dont get nearly as much horsepower from an ecu tune alone as you would on a Viggen.... Saab's have a LOT of hidden power in their ECU's.... Trionic is an amazing thing.

But yeah, I see what you mean.

I say if you really want to, go for it.

I would really like to see a 9-2X with a full JDM STi swap though...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the car was sold and every other one is a couple grand more, but I think its good it sold to someone else i just didnt get that "right feeling" like i did when i saw my 9-3 for the 1st time.

anyways i just bought new wheels and abdukted's black/chrome emblems should be here soon. So Im just going to keep the car for awhile now, maybe find a good deal on a viggen someday.

·
User
9,193 Posts
well the car was sold and every other one is a couple grand more, but I think its good it sold to someone else i just didnt get that "right feeling" like i did when i saw my 9-3 for the 1st time.

anyways i just bought new wheels and abdukted's black/chrome emblems should be here soon. So Im just going to keep the car for awhile now, maybe find a good deal on a viggen someday.
Even better.....

Glad to see you're keeping it Swedish ;) :cool:

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I like the 9-2x...with the "rebadging" they have taken away alot of what I dont like about Subaru's, including much of the "cheapness" which I often felt in the interiors.
I kinda thought the same thing when I test drove a couple 2 years ago. Not quite the same interior quality as say a 9000 Aero or a 9-5.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts

Good deal man! Hey we still need to get together... sorry I missed your last PM for so long.. I have been swamped moving and getting my 9-3 back in order.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts