Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a great car (except for the transmission issue) Engine runs great with 136K on it. 99 saab 9-3 manual, black, 5 door everything works perfectly besides the transmission. (will only go into 3rd and 5th gears) I am looking to either sell the car as is or I am also considering parting it out. I most likely will be pulling off and selling the mods separately if I don't receive any reasonable offers on the car as is, but if your interested in anything (mod or stock interior, exterior, or engine parts) please message/post. Looking for somewhere close to 2,000 for the car as is now but will consider any offer. Below are the list of mods and also the craigslist add I have up on Charlottesville VA CL. Pictures are up on CL but if you would like a picture of anything specifically let me know.

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/cto/2050877815.html

Genuine saab performance air intake with K&N filter
Genuine saab Forge blow off valve
Saab sport exhaust
MP performance short through shifter

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Wrong DI Cassette - there's your problem! lol

Not a terrible deal overall - not in my future at the price sadly. I would be all about that if I had a need for it... Good Luck - looks like it would clean up nice.

Interested in a 1990 Turbo Vert in trade?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'd have your car checked by a saab mechanic. I'm not sure, but your problem doesn't seem like a common transmission failure, does it? I bet your linkage, shifter, etc is messed up. If it is, it might be a cheap repair. I had a similar problem in an old 900 I once had and the issue ended up being a few missing bushings that I failed to include while putting the car back together. You might have a similar problem considering you have a MP short-throw shifter....very easy to make a mistake or mess something up during installation.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
this is going to sound stupid but did you bother checking the shift linkage or did you really torch the transmission? because i rev the shit out of my transmission and no problems ever of course i never miss shift

·
Registered
998 Posts
maybe the mp performance short throw shifter got out of wack?
these do "self adjust" on occassion, resulting in it being almost impossible to engage certain gears because there is no clearance for the shifter to move based upon the fulcrum point of the gear shift changing.... err uhm just go check that to make sure it is properly adjusted.
and check your linkage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone thanks for all the input! After posting I decided to take a good look over everything and the transmission seems to be fine after all. Turns out lowbudgethero was right the bolt connecting the linkage to the MP shifter came un-threaded and was barely hanging on so that through the shifter outta wack. I thought for sure my transmission had gone. Several years back I had a Jetta that the tranny went out on me and it felt almost exactly like what just happened in my Saab. Guess I should of taken a better look instead of assuming. Looks like I may hold on to the car now that I got it back goin again. Sorry for anyone who wanted to buy something off it. I still may consider selling it if I can get a reasonable offer because we just moved and my funds are pretty tight right now.

If anyone is still interested in the car send me a message or post back here with an offer.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
that exact problem just happened to me too (same shifter)
just last week..... the bolt at the bottom of the shifter was loose and barely holding the linkage
i was just gonna tell you to go check that
glad to see you figured it out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
131 Posts
Harrisonburg, huh? That's awesome, I go to EMU.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts