Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep, same day, it seems as though the thermostat has gone bad, and the gas gauge has stopped working!

Still runs and drives great though. Original motor, never been apart, original trans. The car does look like it has 200K - mainly due to dents, dings and paint being totally rock blasted, but I have also seen cars with 1/2 as many miles look a lot worse. With some fresh paint, new headlights grill & a windscreen... and a bit of body work, it would still look very presentable.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Here's how the CL ad would read ;)

"Like New - aside a few dents, chips, cracks and 200,000 miles - will run for another 200K! Needs t-stat and fuel pump."

Congrats - you beat my 90' to 200k :)

My 87' made it to 314K - think the 9-5 can do it?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I just had the baffle come loose on my 04 aero.

I had filled up the car with gas and the the needle didn't budge. WTF!?!?

Then as I was driving over the course of 10 miles it slowly crept up to full, but SID was reading like 700 miles range before empty. yeah.

It was the baffle flying around messing up the float/arm thing.

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's how the CL ad would read ;)

"Like New - aside a few dents, chips, cracks and 200,000 miles - will run for another 200K! Needs t-stat and fuel pump."

Congrats - you beat my 90' to 200k :)

My 87' made it to 314K - think the 9-5 can do it?
The 9-5 can do it for sure, would I really want to drive a 300K 9-5? Meh... with how cheap a good used one is, the amount of normal and high mileage related maintenance that would crop up is not worth my time. I think once this beast reaches 250-275, that's it, someone else can have it. Honestly through, it would probably still be a terrific car for someone who didn't drive as far, fast and frequently as I do.

Jssaab, We still have the tune "on file" however I have not run it in a while. When we & others ON ecu PROJECT looked it over and tried it, it turned out that BSR didn't really know what they were doing when they made it - imagine that! There were a lot of faults that caused massive knock under many conditions, however it did not seem to faze my 9-5 as it had nearly 20K on it with that tune! The current tune it has is a "bio power" modified tune, though honestly that seems to work even worse than the BSR one did... The Hirsche "LPT" stage 3 tune worked pretty well with that car, I may go back to running that.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Jssaab, We still have the tune "on file" however I have not run it in a while. When we & others ON ecu PROJECT looked it over and tried it, it turned out that BSR didn't really know what they were doing when they made it - imagine that! There were a lot of faults that caused massive knock under many conditions, however it did not seem to faze my 9-5 as it had nearly 20K on it with that tune! The current tune it has is a "bio power" modified tune, though honestly that seems to work even worse than the BSR one did... The Hirsche "LPT" stage 3 tune worked pretty well with that car, I may go back to running that.
Yeah the BSR one would knock with certain gas brands, never thought it was that great... Hirsch stage III huh, I would love to get a Hirsch tune for my Hirsch clone ( once I get the T25 to put on it, I want it to be close to original as possible) that was way back in the day no? ( your car had leike 15) on it it think...

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
It's funny, Mike D bought Guru's Wagon with 240k on it. I drove it and it is hilariously smooth. Granted, the strut mounts are bad and the shift linkage needs work but it is still strong. (Remember I have a 100k 9-5 aero)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
It's funny, Mike D bought Guru's Wagon with 240k on it. I drove it and it is hilariously smooth. Granted, the strut mounts are bad and the shift linkage needs work but it is still strong. (Remember I have a 100k 9-5 aero)
Also something about a hole worn through a timing chain guide, and a balance shaft about to fly apart too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
For these slow and "just stopped" gas gauges, dump a bottle of Techron in there.

It has been a known "cure" on the C-5 Corvettes of the same era. Most guys just dump a bottle in once or twice a year.

There are deposits that screw up the electrical sending unit and sometimes it takes a week or two but for the price can it hurt. Also it sounds like one of the 9-3 brethren used it when his quit and it did a Lazarus and came back to life.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
For these slow and "just stopped" gas gauges, dump a bottle of Techron in there.

It has been a known "cure" on the C-5 Corvettes of the same era. Most guys just dump a bottle in once or twice a year.

There are deposits that screw up the electrical sending unit and sometimes it takes a week or two but for the price can it hurt. Also it sounds like one of the 9-3 brethren used it when his quit and it did a Lazarus and came back to life.
No its the baffles....

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
it needed help, and now hates me, but hopefully it will be back soon

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't think the 99 9-5 had a gas tank baffle. IIRC the baffle was added in 2000/2001 to address owners who noticed fuel slosh while driving at stop/start urban settings.
Talk about the solution being worse than the problem. - Yes I have run out of gas on a 2003 9-5 that showed a 3/4 tank on the gauge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts