Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just bought a 99 9-3 with 160k on it. I just got a call from him about how the radio is staying on and power is still on when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition. I remember something similar happened to me one other time in a 1999 9-3 and I ignored it and it went away (my uncle's car did this to me once and I just left it and it had powered off by the time I got back. Two years latter I haven't heard about it happening again, though I doubt he would notice if it did).

Is this a simple/common issue? What should/could I look for.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Sounds like the ignition cylinder isn't popping back up when the key is taken out.

Ask him if its still pushed down/does it pop up when he takes the key out.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the ignition cylinder isn't popping back up when the key is taken out.

Ask him if its still pushed down/does it pop up when he takes the key out.
Thanks for the info.

If that's the deal can you recommend a good cleaner/lube I can hit it with that will fix the problem?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I usually rinse the gunk out with a little bit of brake cleaner on the key blade and down the sides of the cylinder, let it dry, then put some graphite lock powder in it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

Original problem is fixed. Thanks for the help.

New problem. Driver's side high-beam is out. Switched the bulb and it is still out. Is the driver's side high-beam on its own fuse or is this something more complicated?
If it's a fuse which one?

Sorry to be asking something that would be pretty clear if I was near the car, but I can't go look at it right now.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ Thanks for the reply. It turned out to be a dirty fuse. I pulled the high-beam fuse out and switched it with the low-beam (for testing it) and now they both work.

So to answer my question, yes LH and RH high-beams are different fuses.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Ooh, I'm having this issue with my relay. A good way to know it's the relay and not the bulb is whether the blue high-beam indicator lights in the gauge cluster.

If it lights every time, bulb. If it lights intermittently, relay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts