Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i raced a 1996 saturn sc2 with a nice intake and a full header back exhaust system. it was lowered too, but that doesn't really help in straight line racing.

i raced him twice, both time i got shitty launches, could you tell me how to launch please? anyway, at the end of the first race it was like a dead tie, and the second my bumper was with his door, if i could perfect launching i'd be able to take him

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Justin, these last two races I've read about from you...I think you definately could've won :lol: :lol: You Gotta learn how to drive man ;)

Anywhoo.. you have a NA, so your launch RPM maybe different from mine, but I always launch at 3k RPM and make sure I get grip before I completely let the clutch out. This helps ALOT. Of course its different on wet roads.

So I'd practice launching from around 3k RPM or 2500 RPM. Hope this helps, and pleeeeease don't post any more losses ;) heh j/k

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not allowed to post my looses? so i should post how i lost to a gmc truck with a v8, an eagle talon tsi awd, and a few others... sigh

i'm pathetic

doesn't letting the clutch out slow at 3k just like, ruin the clutch? i don't have money for a new clutch, so i don't want to completely fry the thing

~justin

·
Registered
584 Posts
saabguy said:
doesn't letting the clutch out slow at 3k just like, ruin the clutch? i don't have money for a new clutch, so i don't want to completely fry the thing
In order to win more often, you're going to have to launch well.

In order to get a good launch, you're going to have feather the clutch.

Feathering the clutch will ruin it.

Put the three together: If you want to win more, you will ruin your clutch, along with plenty of other things in all likelyhood.

I'm guessing that you'll need more than 2.5 or 3k rpm's to launch your car at it's fastest. And yeah, you'll burn through clutches like nothing at that rate. But if you want to beat people in drag races, you need a good launch. See above. ;)

Street racing with a heavy 4 cylinder N/A car isn't exactly a recipie for success. If you want to have some competitive fun, start auto-x'ing it and leave street races to the kiddies.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Don't feel so bad about losing to the Saturn. It's deceptively quick even stock, as it has a 1.9 L engine and a really light body made mostly of plastic panels. The tranny is geared to be peppy down low, so it launches off the line like a rocket but it's a dog at highway onramp acceleration. I've had a couple of scary moments trying to merge into traffic in my wife's 96 SL. Around ramps, though, it's a fun ride...unfortunately, it would whip our stock 97 900SET in an autocross.

Why? The Saturn is low, with wheels at the corners, so it corners like a go-kart. The steering is very responsive so it slaloms well. The Saab is at a serious disadvantage. Most autocross layouts never let you get out of 3rd gear for very long, which misses most of the Saab powerband....

We were going to donate the Saturn for the tax writeoff, but now I'm thinking about putting new shocks and wheels on that puppy and autocrossing it. I think it uses the same 5x110 mm bolt pattern as the Saab, so I could throw a spare set of 16-inch Vikings on there (I know, I know...blasphemy...)...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
see, i was talking about straight line racing, not cornering, if we were, yeah a lowered car would be much better.

where are their autocross places around here, i live in maine

my friend's eagle talon tsi awd isn't a shitty ******* car, it's pretty nice, and fast, he's got full exhaust, intake, tmo chip, boost controler, and a few other things, i'm not sure

~justin

·
7,595 Posts
hehe eagle talon?? that runs??? I was under the impression that those sat in drive ways up on blocks all the time :lol:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
eagle talons/old eclipses...can be dam fast!!

i wouldnt feather the clutch..burns it up to easily...drop the clutch and feather the gas...thats been workin for me...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
is there a secret for automatic cars to take off the line faster? Like drop it into neutral and get the RPMs up to 3K or so, and then slam it into drive, haha a little dangerous on the transmission, neutral drop. Anyone know secrets to a quick takeoff in an auto?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
rcmdesign said:
is there a secret for automatic cars to take off the line faster? Like drop it into neutral and get the RPMs up to 3K or so, and then slam it into drive, haha a little dangerous on the transmission, neutral drop. Anyone know secrets to a quick takeoff in an auto?
Yeah - pop in either a real trans (5/6 speed) or give it a shot of NOS to get it moving ;) :lol:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Actually ... throw the 9000 Aero pistons in that N/A engine and you'd basically have an Aero motor minus the turbo. Since nitrous is just like turbo in a lot of ways, you're talking about an easy 150 shot of the stuff. The aero pistons and Saab block can take that. Headers, intake, exhaust and nitrous would whomp all over the local boys. At least ... for 30 seconds or so until the Nitrous Oxide ran out. :lol: Oh well.

Better to have turbo, but if you just want to go fast, it would work.

Adrian~

·
Registered
584 Posts
It would probably be cheaper, easier, and more reliable in the long run to just toss the whole Aero motor in. I mean, after all, if you've got access to the Aero's pistons, what's happening to the rest of the motor?

Though it would be cool to do an NA Saab with a big huge wet shot. Just to quiet all the anti-nitrous fanboys. ;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's so easy to get a good launch in an auto, hold the brakes hard with the left foot, and give it as much gas as you can so until the car is ready to over power the brakes, then when the lights go green, lift the left foot and give the right foot as much as you can and hold it

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
saabguy said:
it's so easy to get a good launch in an auto, hold the brakes hard with the left foot, and give it as much gas as you can so until the car is ready to over power the brakes, then when the lights go green, lift the left foot and give the right foot as much as you can and hold it

~justin
Thats one of the best ways to ruin your tranny if you don't know how to do it correctly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
driver found said:
It would probably be cheaper, easier, and more reliable in the long run to just toss the whole Aero motor in. I mean, after all, if you've got access to the Aero's pistons, what's happening to the rest of the motor?

Though it would be cool to do an NA Saab with a big huge wet shot. Just to quiet all the anti-nitrous fanboys. ;)
If you had the Aero pisons you'd basically have an Aero shortblock. The only differences would be the camshafts, which are better on the naturally aspirated models anyway. And a set of pistons is much cheaper than an entire engine.

Of course if you wanted to have a turbo 2.3L 900, getting the entire Aero motor wth wiring harness and T5 ECU would be the way to go. But that's a LOT of work. Start saving up now, and by the time you would have finished all that work you coulda saved enough for a Viggen. ;)

Adrian~

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Ok all those who are Saturn doubters there are some very quick Saturns out there. Before I put the custom turbo system on mine I was running 15.2's in a 1/4 mile with 3" exhaust, a 1992 SC2 Header,lowered 1.4 inches, Ice Man intake, Unorthodox racing pulleys on the AUTOMATIC (yes I said Automatic). Once the turbo was on I was able to grab a high 13 second run at 8.5 PSI.

Here is a link to a quick Saturn http://www.qksltwo.com/home.html

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sure it may be quick but it is still a plastic car. And the interiors are pieces of crap. I have owned one I know. The only Saturn I even look at is an Ion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts