Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help!

My 1996 900s Saab has been sitting in the garage neglected for quite some time as the AC died and the cost to repair was more than it was worth.

Now it's cooling off and I'm trying to get some Saab time.

Three pumps of the gas petal and it starts right up.

Wow did it start up.

The throttle appears to be stuck wide open. I tried 4 times and each time the RPMs reved up to 6000 or so before I cut the ignition.

Any pointers on how to get my throttle working again would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Call a Dealer and see if the "Throtle Bushing Recall" circa 1994-96 cars was ever done to your car. Its free if it was never done. Go reach under the air intake and see if the cable is bound but most likely you will be able to pull the throtle back closed and drive it as long as you don't give it full throtle again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem today after my 1996 900s has been sitting too long. Hoping it's just ice build-up that will be solved with a few hours of a space heater. Hoping to sell it today!

Any other advice? It was fine in neutral at idle, until I put it in gear.

Thing sounded great at idle until this happened. Hate to sell.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If its not the throttle bushings, which would seem to be likely, it could be the idle control valve. Can't hurt to check it. It's a silver cylindrical looking thing to the left of the throttle body, with a hose going to both sides of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If its not the throttle bushings, which would seem to be likely, it could be the idle control valve. Can't hurt to check it. It's a silver cylindrical looking thing to the left of the throttle body, with a hose going to both sides of it.
Turns out the bushings have NOT been replaced in this one, and the dealer says that could be the issue. But they also agreed a few hours of heat may thaw it out enough to idle it back down. I'd obviously prefer to drive it to the dealer for the recall repair.

Anyone have a link to an engine bay diagram so I can see some of the things you all are referring me to? I'd love to manually idle it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts