Saab Link Forums banner
161 - 163 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Car looks amazing! Are you considering switching to e-codes so you can upgrade the lighting to something more effective? Also is there a turbo engine in the works for this in the future?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Car looks amazing! Are you considering switching to e-codes so you can upgrade the lighting to something more effective? Also is there a turbo engine in the works for this in the future?
This car is still definitely what I would consider a "budget" project for me. I'd love e-codes, but I'd be happy with original headlights that still have the chrome intact on the reflectors lol. I do have a set of OEM Hella foglights that I am going to install too sometime.

As for the engine, maybe in the future if the situation is right and I come across everything I need to swap to a turbo then I'll go for it, but I've got my 1986 turbo project that I'd like to complete sometime this decade and that one will be a much more involved build with a turbo.. As much as I'd like this one to be a turbo, there is a certain charm about this n/a engine. it's definitely slow, but it's eager and reliable. I really don't hate it for what it is. If I can get A/C and cruise working, as well as maybe a set of type 8 gears, this would be a fantastic cross-country commuter for me without the reliability issues associated with a turbo. Like I said, my 1986 will be the more wild build of the 2.. This one is just a handsome summer driver.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Alrighty! Busted this out of storage last week to get it ready to go for spring!

The first thing I had to address was the fuel leak. I resealed the pump several times and couldn't seem to find the leak, but every time the tank was full, or 1/2 tank or above and under breaking, there was a pretty significant leak. I ended up dropping the tank to have a better look. Found the plastic tank itself was cracked. I repaired the tank via plastic welding the crack closed, and then used part of an old oil jug to patch over the area for extra strength. I melted the whole area together using a plastic welder with a large foot and a heat gun. Re-installed and filled up with gas. No more leaks!

Then I finally got around to installing the OEM fog lights that came with the other parts car last year. That all went well and was pretty straight forward.. Definitely improved the lighting situation.. The headlights still suck, but this is a decent band-aid in the short term.

I also discovered a rain leak at the rear quarter windows while washing it. I shimmed the latches with some washers and that pulls the window closed a little tighter. I haven't re-tested, but I have high hopes.

Lastly, I started chasing the central locking system issue. It would work occasionally, but it was rare. I narrowed it down to the module in the drivers door. I pulled the box and was able to clean up some of the wire/plug contacts and it seems to be working better now. Still a little bit flaky, but it works 95% of the time. I'm calling it good for now. Might improve with more use.

Then I drove it for several days before I had to pause for the snow that's falling today.

Next projects include:
-Find a way to add cruise control. I'd love to find a NOS Saab add-on kit, or something that would work.
-Fix dash lights, install stereo system
-Replace tires. These are old, hard, and bald.
-Then just minor cosmetics

I'm going to drive the crap out of this car this summer especially if gas prices keep going up!

161 - 163 of 163 Posts